GUN IPSC and IDPA

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by htex1004, Apr 18, 2005.

1. htex1004

htex1004 New Member

I'm stuck at work most of the time any more and those topics are filterd.

Anyways my question is what a brief summery of the 2 and what they are/how they differ.

I'm looking to get into them but need to stop and do research on stuff like is my holster legal etc... etc...

2. Bigsnake

Bigsnake OT Supporter

I'd also like to go. I'd really like to find IDPA or IPSC around here but the only ranges that have stuff are indoors and they either shoot bowling pins or steel plate at like 25ft.

3. htex1004

htex1004 New Member

I've found 2 setups in houston area... One outdoors and one indoors both are IDPA and seem stringent on holster and concealed. I've yet to read through everything on them though. I just know the holster for my Glock 34 was not allowed. It's also hard to conceal it. Althought they seem to just through on a loos vest and not really do pratical conceal carry.

I'm going to one of their "Open Nights" where guid lines aren't inforced but still scored. Practice night i guess.

4. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

IDPA is much more strict on equipment.

5. Ryno

Ryno Gun in hand

www.idpa.com has a complete .pdf rulebook that tells all about the holsters. I just shot an IDPA match this weekend and it was a blast. I highly recommend going to some matches. You'll learn a lot and have a good time.

6. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

I think IPSC has longer stages too

7. oakie

oakie my ninja.

and gun, and tactics.

just a VERY quick comparo of the two:

IPSC: there is NOTHING practical about it. you can shoot with most guns, but you wont be competitive in most cases. it has pretty much turned into an arms race, with specialized race guns and speed holsters. the best of them can unholster and double tap two rounds into center of mass faster than you can sweep your jacket out of the way of your concealed carry rig. if you're not ready to invest thousands, then be prepared to get in other peoples' way.

IDPA: there is NOTHING realistic about it. it is what you make of it. there are the gamers and then there's everyone else. it is a much friendlier environment, with just about any practical defensive handgun and concealable rig being legal. it's a bit slower paced, with very specific rules. use of barriers for cover is a MUST. use of tactical (retained magazine reloads) reloads a MUST, although there is one exception. you can use it to practice what you've learned in a more "realistic" range setting, or you can be a gamer and try to bend every rule to go home with a trophy. it's basically what IPSC used to be 10 years ago.

if you just want to blow off 150 rounds in an action type of setting without spending too much, practice what you've learned in a defensive pistol course, or simply engage targets and verify the usefulness of your weapon and gear, IDPA is the way to go. if you want to win trophies, go IPSC.

www.ipsc.org
    www.idpa.com

you can read up about them on their websites.

8. kalm823

kalm823 He who lives on hopes dies of starvation

I shot IPSC once and it was pretty fun and a good 'draw from holster' experience, most ranges don't allow you to use holsters here. Just be prepared that there is a LOT of downtime. In about 8 hours of the enture event, you spend only about 8-10 minutes at most shooting, the rest is watching other people, setting up, taking down, eating lunch. Remember that a shorter time is desireable so you want to do it faster. We did 4 stages each lasting less than 2 minutes. As for rules, I know the holster has to cover the trigger. I shot in limited class because I used a stock Glock 17. The holster and your mags have to be behind your hip bone, and I reccommend at least 3 extra mags, 5 for some of the longer stages.
    It's a lot of fun and you should definetly try it at least once to see if you like it. Look for some local ranges that offer IPSC and e-mail the range master any q's you may have because rules can differ from range to range. More than likely they'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. But like drift said, it's pretty much unrealistic and not a training tool if you want to be a counter-terrorism agent, but a good way to spend a morning/afternoon.