iPods in the car....What do you use?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by hellodon, Feb 23, 2007.

1. hellodon

hellodon

So - I finally got a new iPod for Valentines Day. I had a 2nd gen one and I sold it a year ago because it had battery issues, and I barely used it prior to that. I havent had one since. Well, I'm back with an 80gb video and I want to listen to it in the car.

I'm just curious what you guys have found to be the best transmitter? I will probably have a hardwire put in eventually, but for now - I want to be able to have it in both of our cars with a transmitter, but it seems like anyone I talk to has major problems with their transmitters....maybe I just have a lot of whiny friends.

What are you using?
    What should I stay away from?

2. drake

drake OT Supporter

AUX in on the back of my cd player. Red and whites to mini-stereo jack (couple of bucks for the 1m one at Radio Shack). Stay away from expensive stuff like Monster cables. Works okay, a lot quiter than I would like. I have to have my iPod at max volume most of the time to be audible at the same levels as either CDs or the radio :hs:

Don't know what to use for power, since most of the stuff I've seen will overheat your iPod so I stopped looking into that and woul djust charge it after a drive.

3. ih8mice

ih8mice New Member

DLO | Transdock FTW
    [​IMG]

charger and fm transmitter built into 1. works with dock connector, shuffle, and you can run a line in. works great :bigthumb: approx $70

coworker just picked this up and he loves it...

[​IMG]

4. Ant

Ant Serious Business.

Aux (cd changer) input on the headunit with generic brand ebay cable. Works good!

5. hellodon

hellodon

I'm going to get into cables later - that's what I meant by hardwired...having an auxiliary in plugged directly into my car stereo if possible and then a cord that the ipod plugs into. One difficult part is that I have a Saab. A friend of mine does these installations and he said that it's going to be a pain in the ass, and maybe not doable.

So right now I need to transmit the signal with one of the fm tuner things like iTrip...I can't do aux cords yet.

Is that transdock only for nano use?

6. Knightmare69

Knightmare69 Hater

The transmitter's suck, I don't care how much money you spend on one of those, it just means you wasted more money. Trust me, my friend has been through several of them and they all just, well, suck. I paid and did it right the first time, got me a eclipse touch screen nav unit and a eclipse ipod controller unit.

7. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

I have a Monster iCarPlay, and I love it... I've had it for 2 years, and never had a problem...

[​IMG]

8. hellodon

hellodon

I'm kinda worried if I do something like that then it will be obsolete when the next gen ipods come out. But I hear what you're saying....I really havent heard many good things about the transmitters. I just want to be able to take the same ipod between cars...I know it won't be the best sound quality ever but i need a temporary solution until we get both cars wired which won't be until summer. We're getting a new car so there is no point in wiring the one, and my Saab is apparently going to be a problem. Once everythings kosher, we'll have 2 cars wired but for now I need to do it the shit way.

9. ih8mice

ih8mice New Member

works with any dock-connecting ipod, ipod shuffle, and also line in (anything that uses an rca input)

10. ih8mice

ih8mice New Member

for the money i think i'll stick with my $70 transmitter that doesn't suck

sweet setup :bowdown:tho

11. hellodon

hellodon

Whoa, I've never seen that one before.....is it the same Monster that makes Monster Cables? Because those have never disappointed me whether it be with stereo equipment or guitar cables. I like that company....

Do those work with the newest iPods? I just found one on ebay ending in 20 minutes for under 50 bucks, I have a ton of extra cash in PayPal...so I'm willing to try that out. Let me know if you get a chance! I just want to make sure it'll connect properly. I think that they have a pretty universal plug on them, looks right, but I just want to make sure. Thanks.

12. hurleyint1386

hurleyint1386 Someone has sand in their vagina

i've got a front aux in on my sony xplode. i love it! i didnt have the money for the actual ipod cable to have the display on the cd player

13. hellodon

hellodon

I just bought an iCarPlay Plus (with digital tuner & charger) new for $38.00 after shipping. Can't really go wrong at that price. The one shown above retails for $69.00. I figured I'd check that out since I trust that company. We'll see how it works out.

Thanks for your help guys!

14. ih8mice

ih8mice New Member

shouldn't dissapoint...damn good price :bigthumb:

15. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

You'll be happy with it...

you can choose the three radio stations that have the best signal in your area, and program them in... Mine has been at 90.9 since I bought it... The quality isn't great, but it's not bad either... I would say its like listening to a tape compared to a CD...

16. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

$17 FM Modulator from overstock.com.. works perfectly

17. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

I've tried the iTrip and two other cheap RCA ones, and they suck compared to the Monster one... night and day difference...

18. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i have a scion tc, 2005. it didn't come with an aux input or ipod connector like the 2006 edition did.

i bought an aux input box that plugs into the cd changer port in the back of the headunit. the box has 1 set of rca connectors. hooked into that is an rca splitter, connected to that are 2 sets of rca to headphone jack wires. i plug in my sirius radio and my ipod. it works great - as long as i dont have both turned on at the same time, cost me about $40 total.

19. ih8mice

ih8mice New Member

did you get this from the OT banner ad?

20. Boosh Dag

Boosh Dag Guest

I have an old 2nd gen and a 80 gig video. I got a charger hardwired into my car and have an audio in on my head unit. The second gen lives in my car and the video lives in my pocket...life is good.

21. Knightmare69

Knightmare69 Hater

Sorry but my gf has that in her car and it's terrible, she has to hold it sometimes to make sure the signal doesn't fade. I would just suggest getting the cheapest aftermarket radio you can that has a Aux input via RCA's and go to Radioshack and get the RCA cables for $20 or less. "hardwired" in a sense but not really and def. better quality then the FM stuff.

22. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

I have the Harmon Kardon Drive+Play unit. Has a remote knob that I mounted next to my shifter that works just like the click wheel, and a separate screen to display your track info. You can use it as either wireless via FM modulation, or like I have, plugged into the aux input on the back of my Clarion Receiver. I think this would be your best bet as you can go wireless for now, and when you feel like spending the money for a new head unit, you can wire it direct into the aux input. Got it for $75 on black friday, but it normally goes for around $100.

23. notwist

notwist Active Member

I use a Kenwood iPod interface unit. Not sure of the specs, but it works awesome.

24. alverino03

alverino03 Active Member

Changed my cigarette lighter into an aux adapter.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

25. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

no, logjamelectronics.com

woah, price increase since i bought it 2 years ago :noes: