Ipod/Zune

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 04JETTA, Aug 30, 2008.

1. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

Ok so im getting an mp3 player Ive got it narrowed down to the une 80GB or the ipod 80GB same any suggestions as to which one and why

2. rocklee

rocklee New Member

zune...bigger screen to watch videos and shit

3. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

yea I was thinkin that plus my cousin says it plays more stuff than the ipod I kinda like the interface better too Ive heard the wifi drains the battery any truth to this? other comments are welcome

4. coldstone

coldstone New Member

Use both and see which one you like more, which functionalities are more necessary to you.

I have used both and I like the iPod more, hence I would recommend the iPod. The Zune had some different features but I didn't need them. So I chose the one that worked best for me. Also, like someone else already said, you might want to check out the iPhone/iPod Touch.

Don't fall for what apple fanbois or apple haters say. Use each of the products (I am sure if you talk to your friends, you will find at least one iPod and one zune) and then decide what you want.

5. coldstone

coldstone New Member

The wifi does drain the battery. Battery life is usually 2.5-3 hours (occasionally) with wifi, and much, much longer without. You can jailbreak it and have more apps and "fix" the common complaints about it.

6. FuzzyBunny

FuzzyBunny I Doubt It

I have a zune 1st gen and an Ipod 5th gen. Love my zune :dunno: think its way cooler than the Ipod, bigger screen, better interface, radio, wifi, cordless updating. Thing is cool as shit.

7. sapient

sapient New Member

I love my Zune 80gb, but I'm going to break it down by pros and cons for you to help decide. I recommend the 80gb over the 40gb btw, even if you don't need the space, it's smaller with a bigger and sharper screen, and the touchpad is much better than the directional pad on the 40gb.

Pros:
    - Amazing interface
    - Radio tuner
    - Wifi wireless sync option
    - Wifi sharing... eh, you'll probably never use it, see cons
    - Zune PC software is INCREDIBLE, much better than itunes
    - Purchasing songs is cheaper and there are unlimited download plans which are a great deal ($15/mo)
    - Can stream all but very eclectic/unheard-of music with unlimited plan on your pc

Cons:
    - No scroll wheel, touchpad is good but not quite as good
    - Fewer accessories, and harder to find them in stores
    - You can never find anyone to share your music with because no one has a zune, not really a con but pretty much eliminates what would be a fun feature
    - You can't share music you've downloaded via the unlimited download plans, only music downloaded from other sources or ripped drm-free
    - Music downloaded on unlimited plan becomes unusable once you cancel subscription. If you want to keep your music for good you have to either buy it ($0.79 a song instead of itunes $0.99) or use drm-removing software, which is easy enough to find.

Overall, I'd say zune beats ipod in every category except ability to quickly and accurately scroll through your list of artists - you can scroll very quickly, but I'll often over-shoot my target and have to flick the touchpad in the opposite direction to get back. Ultimately, this doesn't even qualify as an annoyance to me though. The device software I feel is better on zune, and the pc software is incredible. I'd download and use the zune software as my default media player even if I didn't own the device after having used it, it's that good.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  8. sapient

sapient New Member

I personally keep my wifi turned off, since the only two people with zunes that I know to share with don't like my music, and I don't mind using a cord to sync, even though wireless sync is badass. I also have my screen set to the lowest brightness and set to turn off the backlight very quickly. My battery lasts about a week between recharges, with moderate use.

9. ft2057

ft2057 New Member

I like the Ipod because of the high accessory count it has available.

10. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

o yea another thing im just gonna be usin it for my car any preference as to which would be easier to use?

11. Notorious R.I.E.

Notorious R.I.E. Queen Bee

I prefer Ipod but like someone said it's all personal preference. Use both and decide

12. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

there is no bigger POS than the ZUNE. IMO they won't even be around in another couple of years. The wifi is worthless, the sharing is only good if you know a lot of other people with Zunes, and the screen looks like dog shit. I had one for about a month and sold it for an 80 gig iPod, and have never looked back.

Just get an iPod

13. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

The only reason I got an iPod was because at the time there were little to no Zune interfaces for car stereos...I beleive that is starting to change.

Hope that helps. :)

14. rocklee

rocklee New Member

theres alot more accessories and shit for the ipod...zune, not so many (right now)

ipod would be the way to go for the car

15. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

interesting ill keep yall posted thanks for the advice

16. AZwldcats

AZwldcats OT Supporter

17. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

all i know is if you just wait another month it always seems like the new ipod is more crazy and the earlier one becomes dirt cheap.

18. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

:werd: the next generation iPods should be out mid September.

19. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

Pick something... There is nothing (material) that the Zune does that the iPod doesn't do.

20. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

if you wind up buying an iPod, check out the refurbished and clearance ones on Apple's website, nice discount, same quality product, and the same warranty FTW!

21. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

:eek3: ill keep this in mind

22. coldstone

coldstone New Member

I didn't see any rules about this anywhere, but Mods, please edit if it's not allowed:

Check all the deals forums for discounts, etc. Ebay had a huge cashback sale a few days ago and it might still be on. You could get like 20-30% cashback if you bought an item "Buy it Now" on ebay. Search different deals forums like slickdeals and you might be able to save yourself some cash.

23. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

well im just gonna use a tape deck so :dunno: