iPod video woes

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SkyLeach, Jan 18, 2006.

1. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

Well, I've only had it a little more than a month and it's already dead. For Christmas on the 20th of Dec I got a 60G iPod video. Just last weekened it locked up a few times so I plugged it in and reset it to put it into disk mode and update the software. It came back up with the sad iPod icon and nothing I do will put it into disk mode. :(

I have APP and I filled out a repair request but it said follow instructions in email and I never got an email :o

2. Sirkraker

Sirkraker New Member

Apple is quickly going downhill with there Ipods

3. DuncMan

DuncMan New Member

in mass production not every thing is gunna come out the same, hope you got the apple care

4. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

They had my box to ship back to apple here within 18 hours of my filling out a claim request on the APP website. :eek3:

5. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

What do some of you guys do to your ipods. I've never had any problems with mine

6. GTSlow

GTSlow New Member

too bad car stereo companies dont make decks that are Nomad. Sorry creative fan boys but Apple Ipod is standard for MP3 players. Superior design, ergonomics, and marketing go a long way.

7. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

do you have an ipod video? Those are the ones having all the problems.

8. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

I've not had any trouble... :dunno:

I went to www.apple.com/support and there was a support request form right there. They had a box at my house to ship the ipod back to them the next day. I had DHL pick up the ipod at my house on a Friday and a new ipod arrived before I left for work Monday morning.

9. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

:ugh2: all you need is a deck with an aux input, that will connect to any mp3 player

10. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

FM headphone jack transmitter makes any output device work with any radio.

11. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

you aren't in teh in crowd

I tried out all the players before I decided on the ipod. The display is very nice, the clickwheel is nice, the itunes stuff is nice. The options for the others was limited. I had a rather cheap 1GB sandisk mp3 player before this, and It never ceased to piss me off. IMHO the ipod is much nicer. Of course, I use iPhoto for my photos already so that was a plus as well.

12. jordan04

jordan04 The seeds of love have taken hold, and if we won't

mother effin dot

13. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

Unless creative has changed their display, the ipod display was higher resolution.

14. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

voice recorder = optional
    fm radio = optional

They have both at wallyworld for about $25 (voice record) or $20 for the radio.

But then, I don't really care about either. 90% of my use is audiobooks, the rest is divided between vids and pictures.

15. Casey_the_geek

Casey_the_geek New Member

Mine is fine. I ordered it the night they came out online. I've had it maybe (A guess) 4 months?

the only problem was it wouldn't sync one day, so I restarted my ipod ro somethign and it worked fine.

:bowdown:iPods

16. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

make sure you update the firmware on it. If it gets too far out of date it can die on you.

17. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Wtf are you talking about? There's nothing that says if you don't update your firmware often enough it will die on you. If it dies on you then you simply had bad firmware to begin with, which is certainly not limited to Apple.

18. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

Apple doesn't advertise flaws very often. The older versions of the ipod firmware can crash the device. Bugs I would guess. That's the first thing they say to do if you can get into disk mode if your ipod is having trouble. That certainly suggests flaws in the firmware. They have been plagued with problems with the ipod videos, and they claim it was firmware problems not hardware/device problems.

19. veonake

Well I'm sure there are bugs. No firmware is without them. My point was that it is not as if a piece of firmware is a ticking time-bomb that left unattended to will decide to "expire" on you. But yes, you are absolutely correct, a flaw in the firmware can cause a device to crash. Just like a flaw in software would. Firmware is simply the interface or layer between software and hardware.

20. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

I never suggested it was a timebomb. You are also partially incorrect that firmware is an interface between sofware and hardware. It is correct that firmware often contains drivers and allocates hardware interrupts for the drivers, but it is software. It is by definition software embedded in a hardware device. In the case of most computers it would be drivers or device information stored on flash, eprom or other stateful rom memory modules. In the case of handheld devices such as the ipod it is usually a miniature boot loader or microkernel with precompiled drivers for device specific components. The iPod contains an apple-specific embedded os modeled after but not built from embeded linux.

21. veonake

I never said firmware was not software. I did say that usually the application layer of a device (if we draw an analogy to the OSI model I'd say it would be the top 4 host layers) communicates with the firmware (analogous to layers 2 and 3 of the OSI) which then communicates with the hardware (layer 1). Not to say that you don't know what you're talking about, as your occupation does say sysadmin, but it almost sounds like you pulled stuff off wikipedia to try to prove me wrong. I apologize for misinterpreting your words, but I think you have misinterpreted mine.

22. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

Sounds like you were trying to ethug those you assumed knew less than you.

23. veonake

If I was ethugging, I'd let you know you spelled hydraulics wrong in your profile, or maybe I'm just giving you a heads up.

24. JubjubRSX

JubjubRSX New Member

sorry but if you need a instruction manual to work a ipood, man your pretty stupid....

25. SkyLeach

SkyLeach Guest

He was searching for the support numbers in the instruction manual, or how to fix it. Stop being an ignorant troll and pick an option:

1.) DIAF
    2.) Go 2 hell
    3.) Go fuck yourself