Ipod Video - A Must Read If You Have One!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kawasakiguy37, Oct 31, 2005.

1. kawasakiguy37

kawasakiguy37 New Member

Apple claims that the max resolution the ipod can output is 480 x 480 in mpeg4 format, at 2500 bitrate. At first, I was severely dissapointed in this statistic, because I thought I was going to have to run widescreen and 4:3 films at 480 x corresponding resolution. This seemed to be the general consensus with everyone else as well. However, I realized yesterday that if the ipod can output 480 x 480 (230,000 pixels), why could it not do 700 x 300 (210000 pixels) or other resolutions? The resolution should not matter, only the totaly number of pixels. I convereted Enemy at the gates using 560 x 240 (widescreen) and it works beautifuly! I have yet to run 700 x 300, but im going to do a conversion as soon as possible. Id like to note that at 560 x 240 and 768k bitrate, it really looks as good as normal TV. At 700 x 300 (or possibly a slightly higher resolution) and at 1500 or 2500 bitrate, it should look better than normal TV, and be very sharp. Ill update as soon as possible, but I wanted to inform anyone on OT who has one of these new ipods that they can indeed output great quality to a TV

2. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:coold: good shit man

3. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

:cool: bad ass

4. Skoles

Skoles Guest

I'm sure Apple new all along that it could output at TV resolution but to advertise it as doing so would bring in all sorts of "Apple supports piracy" claims. They'd rather the ipod community discover it on their own knowing how fast it'll spread across the net.

Because seriously, who keeps TV/DVD rips of that high of quality on their computer other than people who rip their dvd's or those who d/l movies & tv shows.

5. Sarge21

Sarge21 Frau am Steuer Ungeheuer!

forgive my ignorance, but dont they say 480x480 because that is the resolution of the screen i.e. number of physical pixels on the SQUARE screen?

while 700x300 is less total pixels.......you can just miraculously add 280 pixels to the width of your screen. It seems to me more like your V-IPOD is just auto cropping the video before it is displayed, and you are having a placebo effect in convincing yourself it worked.

Think of it this way, my LCD monitor has 1280X1024 pixels, if i up the resolution to 1600X1200 my desktop will hang off the corners of my screen.
    If i want to run 1600X1200 i have to go buy a bigger/widescreen monior.

Its the same with the iPOD....you are exceeding the horizontal limit of resolution of the screen. So iPod compensates for that by either cropping the video, or recompressing the resolution.

Granted i could be a complete unabashed idiot and never have been more wrong in my life. But i just dont think thats the case.

EDIT: just read the specs on the V-Ipod.....screen resolution is 320X240 pixels......you WILL NEVER EXCEED THIS.....it may process videos at a higher resolution.....but in the end the output is still 320x240 at MAX......therefore, what you have indeed is a placebo effect.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2005
  6. kawasakiguy37

kawasakiguy37 New Member

No, the screen is 320 x 240 pixels. This means that on the small ipod screen you are indeed correct - it doesnt matter if you set the pixel number higher.

Were talking about outputting to a television, in which case the ipod can do up to 230000 pixels (The chip that apple uses in the V ipod can actualy go upt to 320 000, but apple limited it at 230 000 for some reason, maybe a DVD V ipod later?). My Hi def TV's horizontal Pixel limit is higher than the Ipod will ever be able to output (unless i outputted a horizonatal line or something) so I should never have cropping problems. As for the comment on running 1600 x 1200 on a 1280 x 1024 LCD...thats because the max your LCD can display is 1280 x 1024.....doesnt really have to do much with the V ipod

It is a not a placebo effect.....it looks SIGNIFICANTLY worse at 320 x 240 instead of higher resolutions. Id like you to also keep in mind that 700 x 300 IS NOT INCLUDING black bars.....so its still 16 x 9 content, even though 700 x 300 is not a direct 16 x 9 ratio (with black bars it is). This saves space and allows you to output more pixels to a TV if you do it this way (most movies you download dont have black bars, if you notice) As for the 480 x 480 comment above....keep in mind a normal SQUARE TV is NOT SQUARE....it has an aspect ratio of 4: 3. So even for normal TV 4:3 content, you can still get higher than 480 x whatever.

7. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

I think the confusion lies in that some of you are talking about outputting to a TV, while others are talking about just viewing it on the iPod screen. Sarge is correct wrt to the iPod display. Above 320x240 it will be using a resizing algorithm to fit it into those 320x240 pixels. Which means 320x240 SHOULD look best or any integer multiple thereof since the algorithm won't have to make as tough decisions how to resize.

On a TV, kawasakiguy makes sense.

8. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

:bowdown: exactly

9. Sarge21

ok....now i understand....i didnt know it could output to tv :cool:

thanks for the clarification

10. Sarge21

yeah, i didnt realize you meant output to TV....sorry for the confusion

11. kawasakiguy37

kawasakiguy37 New Member

Yea, sounds good. I have noticed slowdown (slightly) on movies that are very high resolution when viewing on the ipod screen (by slowdown I mean it takes longer to seek and startup and such)

12. veonake

Well, apple would have some miracle processor if higher resolution movies could seek as quickly as low res.

13. kawasakiguy37

kawasakiguy37 New Member

Still though, they should unlock the full potential of the current one....it can do 320 000....id like that for TV. I woudl then have separate movies for playing on the TV and for playing on the mini screen

14. veonake

It seems it must have a bug or something for them to not "unlock" it. I can't think of any motivation for them to limit it.