iPod transfer of music on another comp...plz help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Axespeed, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Axespeed

Axespeed It's only after we've lost everything, that we're OT Supporter

Sorry if it's a repost but i dont get the privilege to search..

I have over 10 GB of music on my computer but it recently had a MAJOR virus infection. In normal mode it basically won't do anything but i still have access to Safe Mode.
    I'm looking into buying a Dell XPS 410 by next week and my question is how can i transfer the music from my old computer to the new one?

Also i cant burn it onto like a DVD for example because i dont have a burner and anyways i dont think it would allow me to. (PC totally fucked up)

What do i do? The guys at the Apple store seem to have no clue.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You should be able to plug the hard drive from the old PC as a slave into the new one and copy your files.

3. Xyroquell

Xyroquell New Member

You can turn on 'harddisk-mode' on your ipod, which will allow you to browse it as if it were a normal external harddisk. You can not only put music, photo's and video's on your ipod, but office-documents as well.

Bear in mind however that any media you add to the ipod in disk-mode is not recognised by the ipod itself, so you can not play it. However, you can connect your ipod to another computer, enable disk-mode again and transfer the files to that new machine. But be careful about DRM-protected media, as those crap requires an licensekey to play. This should not be a problem for Itunes as you can install it on your pc, login to the musicstore and add that machine to the list of machines that are allowed to play your purchased content. Itunes will download the correct licensekey to your new computer.

Unfortunately I do not know how other companies like to limit your freedom so for Microsoft DRM or other DRM 'solutions', please refer to the store where you bought that crap.

4. Axespeed

Axespeed It's only after we've lost everything, that we're OT Supporter

Im not a computer wiz but i really dont want to do that cuz i feel like the virus will spread to my new computer or something

But to the last post, i have no idea how to do that..
    And where do i enable this harddisk mode anyway?
    All my music is downloaded so i have no intention is re-downloading 2000+ songs

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You'll probably run the same risk copying the files to a DVD or to the Ipod, but I doubt you will have any issues unless your music files are infected with a virus.