Ipod Shuffle= Good!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by w00tpoint, Apr 14, 2005.

1. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

I have had mine for about a week now and I love it. Anyone else a big fan of the simplicity of these things? It came with instructions, but all it needs to say is:
    1. Put music on Ipod Shuffle.
    2. Turn on and set to shuffle.
    3. Put in pocket.
    4. Pretend to be working.
    And there you have it. My VW car key takes up more space, and it has more buttons.

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

false.

you are obviously not a member of the intended target market.

the shuffle is for people who don't care about looking for a particular song and just want to have their music handy. it's perfect for my wife wife to take to the gym to listen to while she's working out.

i have an ipod mini myself and i think i've actually dug down to look for a particular song all of three times since i updated it with the firmware that added the one click shuffle option. in other words, even though i have a screen, i rarely ever use it, i just turn it on, click on shuffle, lock it, toss it in my pocket, and take off.

the only time it comes out of my pocket is to pause it if the phone rings, somebody walks in to talk to me, etc. i'm hoping for a bluetooth equipped ipod soon so that i can link it to my cell phone and have the ipod pause automatically when my cell phone rings and start playing again after i end a call (itunes on my powerbook already does this thanks to bluephone elite). :x:

3. mel my finger

mel my finger New Member

4G ipod for road trips + a shuffle for working out = teh win

4. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

1. it stops making sounds.
    2. it starts at the same spot when it's done.
    Surprise! Come on now, the screen is great, but it just adds weight and breakable stuff... not good for those of us who are hard on our stuff. For the record, I have a U2 edition iPod as well, but I havn't even turned it on since I got the shuffle.

5. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Holy crap, you aren't just trolling against Nintendo fans, you're a freaking retard.

The only reason I don't want an Ipod shuffle is because I have a severe distaste for Itunes.

6. mel my finger

mel my finger New Member

yep, if you don't like itunes, the shuffle is definitely not for you.

7. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

Guy incognito is an idiot, i think people should just ignore him, buddy people have opinions you can't say they're wrong because they're personal opinions you idiot you can't change them. if he likes the shuffle and thinks its good then you cant tell him that he has to think its not.

8. maczter

:hsugh:

how do you know somebody is calling you on the phone without a screen?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2005
  9. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

Sure. I could get the 600000Gb 17" plasma-screen mp3 player, but really, to take to the gym, why the hell do i need that?
    "dude, can you hold my iPod while i bench? No, more to the right, i can't see the screen. Aw, now you messed it up. and i just got windows xp upgraded to the 64-bit OS..."
    can you see where this is going? sometimes, smaller and simpler is just gonna be better.

10. lordcoca

lordcoca Wading in the Velvet Sea

The sarcasm detectors in this thread need a tune up.

11. J

J Active Member

my cassette player's shuffle feature doesn't work :wtc:

12. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

As in, the rest of us are doing fine, and... ah, fuck it.

/Sarcasm

Guy Incognito, I think they should make a computer that fits in your pocket and has a fold out projection tv, full surround sound w/ good bass, an AMD 64 and an nvidia 6800gt, PLUS on of those wrist-rest thingies for the keyboard.... THEN, and ONLY then, would I give a FUCK about a GODDAMN SCREEN!!!! :rl:

/Sarcasmoff <--- does that not look like russion to you?

13. Gai

Gai New Member

I love my mini and my shuffle. The shuffle is perfect when working out or jogging.

The screen issue is moot...the Shuffle is just a flash player(those other flash players with screens are worthless...I had a couple..the screen wasn't worth it) intended for use just like a Discman or Walkman...

you can think of it as a great Jump drive that plays your mp3's. :wiggle:

14. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

i would have to agree, i wouldn't pay more than $20 for an mp3 player without a screen.

might as well just go back to me cassette player. even my CD player has a screen...and guess what, it has a SHUFFLE option too. how nice.

the ipod shuffle is marketed to poor peeps who cant afford a normal priced ipod, but still want to tote around an ipod product. and its still overpriced for me, it doesn't offer enough.

15. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Why would you buy the iShuffle?

1GB iShuffle:
    - $150
    - No screen (so you can't see what song you're playing, and you can't browse through your music by folders if you do feel like listening to a specific song)
    - Uses internal rechargeable batteries. What the fuck are you going to do when you're on vacation and it runs out?
    - No radio.
    - No voice recorder (for when you think of something, and you want to give youself a remindor. Or if you feel like singing like an idiot)
    - You have to use iTunes to import music.
    - Trendy

In comparison, the Sandisk 1GB:
    - $130
    - Has a screen, and allows you browse songs by folder. However, you may also use the "shuffle" option if you want random songs.
    - Uses AAA batteries, which last about 8 hours each for me. If you run out, just pop another one in. If you don't have any, just go to any convenience store or gas station and you'll find them there.
    - Has a radio.
    - Has a voice recorder.
    - Is recognized by windows as an external hard drive, making organization and importing of music extremely easy.
    - Not trendy

In conlusion:
    Price: Sandisk > iShuffle
    Screen/ability to easily browse music: Sandisk > iShuffle
    Battery: Sandisk > iShuffle
    Radio: Sandisk > iShuffle
    Voice recorder: Sandisk > iShuffle
    Ease of importing and organizing music: Sandisk > iShuffle
    Trendiness: iShuffle > Sandisk.

So, the only category in which the iShuffle wins is the trendiness category. It's hard to believe that kids are that stupid, that they'll spend $20 more for an mp3 player, which has less features than any other, just to be trendy. Sorry, but I'm not some retard that will waste my money just to go along with the crowd. I bought a sandisk. (I actually have the 256MB version, since it was only $50 on black friday. However, when I upgrade, I'll get a Zen. Removable batteries + Radio + Voice recorder + lower price + 5GB > Fixed internal batteries + No radio + No voice recorder + higher price +4GB)

16. w00tpoint

w00tpoint New Member

Heres the thing that no one seems to understand. The iPod Shuffle is great for what it's for. I use it at the gym/running, because it weighs nothing and it's tough as nails, as well as somewhat waterproof (that is my own finding, i don't recommend trying that out)
    I have a regular iPod, but I don't use it anymore. I can remember all the info for 200+ songs w/out a problem, and I know the order of my songs if I am looking for something special. Most of the time, while I'm active I really don't care anyways.
    You are totally correct, if its your only mp3 player, get something w/ a screen if you don't know what kinda music you have on your player. (my opinion, screens are for teh weak) I don't like the shuffle for it's features, i like the size, weight, and durability.

17. mel my finger

mel my finger New Member

werd. i know my mp3 library well enough i don't need a screen...and i really don't care what song i'm listening to when i'm working out (just as long as i set up the right playlist on it).

i really don't think i'd be satisfied with my shuffle if it was my one and only mp3 player for the exact reasons that furious d mentioned...but if you got the cash to spend, its awesome as a secondary ipod. :fawk:

18. firecracker

firecracker New Member

I love mine. No need for a screen as I only have it loaded with my fav. songs and only use it going from class to class and occasionally at work.

19. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

iShuffle :mamoru:

Being able to use itunes to load music > * And maybe when the battery runs out on vacation, you could BRING A FUCKING CHARGER and charge the battery? and by not being trendy, you are being trendy, there is no escaping trends so just stop bitching

20. maczter

21. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

i hate using batteries, but their are other options for a rechargable lithium ion battery than a shuffle or iPOD.

how big does the shuffle get? 1GB? and its what $100?

for $200 you could buy a 30GB creative jukebox player/portable HDD.

of course their are other players too with that option..

i just wouldn't pay $100 for 1GB. i havent seen a shuffle bigger than 1GB yet. even including the small size (oh yay, i can lose it EASIER now) or iTunes (i'm neutral to it) i still couldn't bring myself to pay that much for it.

22. maczter

then the shuffle is obviously not for you. :dunno:

i'll stick with my mini until i get a 60GB or larger Photo model so i can put all my Apple Lossless encoded music on it.

23. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

What if you don't have a place to plug the charger in? (Especially if you're like me and you go on long hiking trips alot). AAA batteries are just alot more convenient. Also, I disagree with your "trendy" comment. Many people buy iPod products because its trendy. iPods are the trend. I don't buy iPod products because Zens, iRivers, Dells, and Sandisks are the most sensible, not because I'm attempting to avoid the trend.

And the Sandisk 1GB is very small as well, a little thicker than the Shuffle, but less wide and less long.

24. XEN0N

XEN0N Guest

One of the official accessories for iPod Shuffle lets you run it off AAA batteries.

It just adds a little extra bulk, but keeps it going when you are away from your computer and unable to charge from your USB.

25. Improvolone

Improvolone New Member

Good golly Miss Molly, you wouldn't be a canidate for a Shuffle. That doesn't mean everyone else is the same. Plus, batteries inside a unit weigh more than the litium rechargable.