Ipod ready HU's

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Everett, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Everett

Everett New Member

looking for a HU thats ipod ready i guess. that i can plug my ipod in directly for a 98 rav 4. sick of the wireless modulater thing.

can anyone recomend one that i can plug my ipod directly into for say 200-250 bux? if not in that price range, more is alright too.

thanks for any help. the guys on the phone at crutchfield didnt help too much.

2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Alpine.

3. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

Any 2006 model year Alpine with AI-Net + $30 Alpine to Ipod cable will do the trick. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Qi8daXu6bJe/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=227550&I=500KCE422I

Or Alpine 2005 model year decks with AI-Net + $100 Alpine to Ipod box.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Qi8daXu6bJe/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?g=227550&I=500KCA420I

Kenwood's with changer controls + $100 Kenwood box.

Almost every brand radio has one out now, take a look here:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Qi8daXu6bJe/cgi-bin/ProdGroup.asp?g=227550&avf=Y

Last edited: Mar 22, 2006
  4. Everett

Everett New Member

thanks guys! exactly what i was looking for!

5. ShapeShifterz

ShapeShifterz Longtime Lurker

I have a 2005 model alpine deck with the ai-net ipod box.

You get full functionality, but its dog slow navigating through songs or playlists.

I'm looking to trade it for a 2006 model which doesn't require the additional box, and its supposed to be as quick as navigating on the actual ipod.

6. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

yeah, the '06 models with the cheaper cable are much faster than the '04-'05 with the box. That was one thing they definately improved.

7. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Does anyoen know the difference between the 9857 and the 9856 decks from Alpine? They seem to both pump out the same power. Also, does anyone know if this thing works for a 99 integra gsr? I'd love to upgrade my boring stock deck.

8. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

shit, the new 2006 line isn't even available right now from crutchfield. Is it just out of stock?

9. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

Must be out of stock at the moment, you can get them in store (Best Buy, independent shops, etc.).

Stores have actually had '06 Alpines in for a few weeks now.

10. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

cool thanks

11. ngsm13

ngsm13 New Member

Yup, I'll also put in a good word for the new 2006 Alpine HU's with the Full-speed iPod controller...

12. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Getting the 9857 installed monday w/ free ipod cable(on alpines website). I'm excited.

You can get digital radio with that heatunit without installing anything else, correct? Also, i've seen some newer cars that can pick up the song titles and artists from the radio. Is this "digital radio", or is that somethign else?

13. Ry4n

Ry4n OG Lurker

Song titles over FM? That could either be HD radio, or even RDS (radio data system), which is what allows radios to display the station's call sign. Though I haven't seen RDS used to display song information, it does have the capability to do so..

To get RDS, you need a radio with it built in (I've only seen higher end Kenwood's with it, and many GM factory headunits).

That headunit you purchased is HD Radio ready, meaning you have to buy a separate box to get the stations:
    http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5d2gvWLiyOx/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?search=t500hd&i=500TUAT500

$250 :eek3:

14. Hairy Gorilla

Hairy Gorilla New Member

Haha, sounds pretty worthless to me. I think i'll just enjoy the new headunits ability to play CDs and my ipod, without a stupid fm transmitter.

Yeah I was talking about how the new GM headunits get the song titles on normal radio. I thought that was pretty cool.