iPod questions. v. IBignorant.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DaIceMan, Nov 28, 2005.

1. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

ok... my daughter wants an iPod nano for Christmas. I realize they are all pretty much the same price everywhere, but is there any "added features" (such as customer service, etc) by buying it from the apple store, or storeX, etc?

Also... I've ripped all the CDs she has so that I could put them on the iRiver MP3 player that she has. They are 192kb/s MP3s. Will these files load on the nano without any type of conversion? If they need to be converted... to what format do they need to be?

I've avoided the whole ipod fad until now, so I'm completely lacking in any knowledge related to the subject. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. oh noes

oh noes New Member

not sure what the differences are, if any, when you buy it from the apple store.

As for the mp3s, they should work fine in the format they are now. You can covert them to AAC using iTunes, but you don't need to. I think the AAC files take up a lil less memory, so using that format you may be able to squeeze in a few more songs to the iPod

3. Gai

Gai New Member

I think the Nano's still have laser engraving for free if you buy them from Apple online...that's about it. Oh..you get a cool backpack like package if you buy it from Apple over say Radio Shack. :big grin:

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You might as well go to an Apple store if there's one near you, but I see no difference if the price is the same.

Make sure you go online and register it.

The .mp3's are fine, they won't need to be converted.

If you plan to use iTunes, you can install it and setup your library. All you need to do when you get the ipod is plug it in and drag and drop the songs to it.

5. DaIceMan

Thanks for the info. I went with the apple store because of free engraving and free shipping.

one more question. when you connect the ipod to your PC, does it show up as a drag and drop drive, or are you forced to use itunes to transfer songs?

6. ilikecheese

ilikecheese New Member

7. Casey_the_geek

Casey_the_geek New Member

Baaaaaaad mistake with the free engraving. A lot of ipods need to be replaced. Have fun doing that with an engraving on the back.

Don't get me wrong with it. I have a fifth generation ipod and LOVE it. Just saying, an engraving isn't such a good idea.

Also, ALWAYS keep a screen protector on both sides of it at all times if you dont want it to scratch. They scratch from air. Its crazy. My iPod hasn't had it's screen protector ever removed, and I'm glad.

8. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Because of the way an ipod is setup, you cannot drag and drop songs.

There are other programs that you can use besides iTunes like Ephod, Sharepod, etc.

9. jordan04

jordan04 The seeds of love have taken hold, and if we won't

No, if it needs to replaced they'll just ask you if you want to keep the engraving. If you do it will take a good while longer but you can opt to just have them replace it and lose the engraving.

10. Casey_the_geek

Casey_the_geek New Member

I think they also charge you for a new back of the iPod. What are they gonna do with one with someone's name on it?

11. jordan04

jordan04 The seeds of love have taken hold, and if we won't

I've done this before and they charged me nothing. If they can refurbish an old ipod covered in scratches and sell it again looking brand new I'm sure it doesn't cost them much to just put a new outer shell on it.

12. DaIceMan

thanks for the info. it was delivered yesterday. keep those itunes alternatives coming if you have any.

13. MUDFISH

MUDFISH New Member

Check out iPodlounge.com... they have a section about iTunes that has a bunch of other options...

They have a great Nano section too... excellent site...

14. DaIceMan

^^ thx.

I'll check it out.