iPod questions, seriously.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by offthahook, Jun 21, 2006.

1. offthahook

offthahook New Member

Holy crap I can't believe I'm in this forum asking about an MP3 player, but here goes...

How do I DELETE files/songs that are on my iPod?

Can I NEVER drag/drop files directly into (or out of) an iPod from "My Computer" without using Apple's iTunes software? Seems I have to add them in the itunes library first... Plus, the files don't show up in the "F" directory when I click it.

How do I set my preference so that the second I plug my iPod into my PC and open iTunes, it doesn't do an auto update (uploading every file to my iPod in the itunes library that isn't already there)?

How do I add pictures or videos?

How do I get the iPod to search and upload all my MP3's that are on my PC? Honestly, I would like to directly add these MP3's since some of them have explicit lyrics and I don't want the 9 year old to have them auto updated when he connects his Nano to iTunes. Basically, can I not have them stay in the iTunes library?

I'm sure this has all been covered eleventy billion times, but the owners sheet isn't much help. If you have a link with a good tutorial, bring it. I have the 30GB and my GF son has the 1GB Nano. Actually, we're both decent in the computer stuff, but we haven't been able to figure out too much more than adding MP3's

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

You arn't too great with reading, are you?

open itunes, connect ipod, right click ipod in itunes, go to properties. you can set it to not auto-update. And if you're "oh so concerned" about your 9-year-old, then why don't you setup XP profiles? He can have his own itunes library seperate from yours.

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

You cannot drag and drop files onto the Ipod. You need iTunes or another program that will work with the Ipod. Like said above, you can turn off the auto-update if you want to.

If you are using iTunes, you need to add the songs to your library before you can add them to the Ipod.

As for pictures, there is a setting in the properties to choose the folder(s) where your pictures are and the Ipod will automatically copy them on when the Ipod is plugged in.

As for tutorials, there should be plenty of info on the apple site to get you started.

4. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

Not true. The iTunes Library is not a necessity for using/having an iPod.

I dont have anything in my library, i just drag and drop from a Windows Explorer window into the iPod window in iTunes. I dont like iTunes, as far as a media player is concerned... so this method works out for me.

To the OP, check out iLounge (formerly iPod-Lounge) for anything and everything you ever needed to know.

To delete songs from an iPod, simply go into iTunes, select the song(s) and hit the delete button. Its that easy.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Gotcha... I've always added the songs to my library first.

6. offthahook

offthahook New Member

Okay, now I'm seeing what's up. My iPod was NOT showing up in the source bar in iTunes. That makes it hard to do ANYTHING, except get a message of "Connect an iPod". I do not like iTunes either. I got the auto update turned off and did a restore/updater to clean the iPod completely. It searched my files and got me all the MP3's on my PC when I reconnected. What if I want to have the iPod search my entire set of files again (say in my laptop) for all those MP3's?? I think iTunes is already installed on my laptop, so the initial start up option won't be available... Thanks to those who actually had input!! That would be all except one asshat...

BTW, I do have separate accounts set up for the kids on XP. I just can't open two copies of iTunes and use them both at once obviously. So, I used my account to "learn" with the 9 year old. Thanks for your 1/2 cent input though. It really helped. Now, take that other 1.5 cents you now have leftover from your two cents input and buy your boyfriend some "new to him" leathers for this weekend.