ipod minis?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chadwick4546, Dec 11, 2004.

1. chadwick4546

chadwick4546 Guest

I want to get an ipod mini for x-mas for my car. I odnt understand to much abou them though. what exactly do i need beside the ipod to make it work for my car. i heard the songs are $1 each but you can get them off ur downlaoded computer. wats a good site to go to in order to download a program where i can download songs onto the ipod?

2. frostedfrank

frostedfrank OT Supporter

whaaaaaat
    get ipod mini, download music, send to ipod, get tape adapter or fm transmitter top play in car
    that's it

3. deezil

deezil Guest

4. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

If you are interested in the iPod, check out www.iPodLounge.com. Just about everything you would ever want to know about iPods is on that site. New and Old users love that place. It helped me decide on the right model and accesories to allow me to use my iPod at home, work and in the car.

If you will only be running it in your car and your computer, I would use the tape adapter or a direct installation into your car for digital quality. If you use iTrip, the quality is radio quality, the iPod has to be within 12" from the radio or it sounds staticy. I would get the iTrip if you have an FM radio at work or in the shower or radio clock by the bed or whatever that you want to be able take the iPod to and listen through. Then it's good.

For me, I went with the 20 gig iPod. 16g more space for $50 more then the mini. Then I will have the tape adapter and car charger for when it's in the car. For work and my home stereo, I will have the iTrip.

5. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

If you had the extra money- I would reccomend the full size iPod. Although I haven't personally had an iPod mini, all my friends that have gotten them before said they hated them because Apple crossed the prefection line- making the screen incredibly hard to read.

6. deesee22

deesee22 Habs Crew OT Supporter

:werd: iPod minis are chick ipods. All the girls around here go crazy about them.

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

1. get a full size iPod. they are worth the extra money
    2. use a free peer2peer program like kazaa to download songs
    3. use iTunes to send them to the iPod
    4. purchase an FM Modulator (note i said modulator and not transmitter) from either a car stereo shop or radio shack. this will plug into the AUX inputs in your car radio and you will need a Y cable that will have an end to plug into the headphones port of the iPod and 2 RCA ends to be plugged into the fm modulator. this will hard wire you iPod inot the car.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

don't pirate... Buy your music.
    not quite. An FM Modulator does not plug into the "aux" input of your headunit. Instead, it goes in-line with your antenna and simulates an FM broadcast. Quality is that of a high-strength FM channel. Not CD quality, but neither are MP3's. Overall, it's a good option if you don't have aux inputs. However, if you have aux inputs, then you do NOT need an FM modulator. Just the appropriate connector, and possible an adaptor for your headunit (some use a weird plug, and some even require an active device to enable it's use).

9. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

thats right, it plugs into the antenna. i knew it plugged in there somewhere. to the average person, they arent going to be able to tell a huge difference between store bought cd quality and an iPod plugged in with a modulator.

10. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

they don't here

11. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

kazaa is pretty good, but for p2p I would reccomend using one of the following;

1)AcqusitionX -http://www.acquisitionx.com/
    2)Poisoned - http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/20289
    3)Xfactor - http://www.xfactor.cc/
    --and all of those programs are freee and connect to multiple networks.

12. skin

skin New Member

the bigger ipods are worth buying over the ipod mini. the bigger ones are slightly more expensive but can hold a hell of a lot more songs. a program you could use to download songs is called winmx and can be found at www.winmx.com :hsd:

13. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

yea- good point.

14. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

oh yea- should have also mentioned those are all mac apps. sorry- forgot i wasn't in the mac user forum.

15. JPGuinness

JPGuinness Guest

I had an iPod mini and just sold it on eBay last week, along with a lot of accessories. I think that the only pros of the mini, when compared to other mp3 players, is its small size and the cool and easy way it interfaces with iTunes. The cons.....well, the battery life sucks the sweat off of my balls; the FM Transmitter (called the iTrip) can't transmit with any clarity; apple doesn't let you simply plug your iPod into someone elses computer and download/upload songs.
    So, I guess what I'm trying to say is F the iPod.