iPod Loading Delay Inbetween Certain Songs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Mugwump, Feb 10, 2005.

1. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

I was wondering if there's anyway to speed up the loading process inbetween songs? Like say you're flipping through songs or a menu really quick, there's a bit of load lag or delay (pausing) to catch up. It's not really that big a deal, but if there's a way to modify it so it doesn't do that anymore, that'd be great. FYI, I have a 4G 20 gig with Windows format.

2. mamoru

mamoru New Member

It's basically accessing the harddrive, so there's a delay seek time in the cache (sorry, I know nothing, but I'm trying to say what sounds logical!!)

But yes, you can even hear the disc speed up when you click next and wait those extra few seconds....it's such a pain in the ass :mad:

BUT, if there is a mod for seek time, then someone send it over...more likely than not, it's not possible because of the nature of the harddrive apple used...

3. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

Yeah, I basically figured it's a RAM issue, since an iPod is basically a mini-computer that plays music. Therefore, no way to really speed it up.

4. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

mine will actually pull up a song but then skip to the next one without playing it. the song isn't bad because I just hit prev. and it goes back and plays it. and its close to every 5th song.

5. Mugwump

Mugwump Guest

Wow that sucks. Try updating the firmware or restarting the ipod (hold Menu and Enter)?

6. JointBeaker

JointBeaker packaging engineer #2 OT Supporter

I dunno how it is for other gen iPods...but my third gen does this too. My fix...is basically playing around inside the main menu/settings/repeat function.

My 3rd Gen gives me options of "Off, One, or All"

I would assume that 'Off' would mean that it'll skip over songs you've listened to at least once, until all of your tracks have been played.

'One,' then of course would basically be the one track repeat function.

'All' is what I keep mine at now, and that issue doesn't seem to come up anymore as of late. :dunno:

7. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

songs >32MB will also cause a delay as the RAM buffer is that large. Or if you skip several songs in a row (thus defeating the songs the iPod has preemptively queued as next in line).

8. JointBeaker

JointBeaker packaging engineer #2 OT Supporter

That too. :bigthumb:

9. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I'll try the repeat thing but I dont' have any songs over 32mb.