Ipod Help...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Labster, Dec 25, 2008.

1. Labster

Labster OT Supporter

I'm not even truly sure how to search for this google or otherwise so I thought I would call upon the MacShack for help. My niece just got a new nano for xmas and she wants to get some songs from my itunes but not erase her ipod in doing so. Is there a way that we can basically set it up so that she can grab whatever songs she wants from me or my brothers itunes without it deleting or overwriting what is already on there?

2. hoppy1028

hoppy1028 New Member

i believe by making sure it is setup to manually add music in the prefs

3. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Yes, but I believe you have to do it from the computer which the iPod was first setup. If you change the setting on a different computer to manually manage files, it will erase whatever is already on there.

4. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

yeah, i've wanted to do this as well, but for different reasons. i have a pc and a laptop at home and want to be able to add media from both.

5. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

There's a program for jailbroken iPhones where you can have two different libraries. I forgot what it is called.

6. JRide

JRide New Member

Yeah, this is a big pain. I wish there was an easy way to just grab music off of other people's computers without erasing all of my songs. I understand why iTunes doesn't allow it but its still annoying.

I just grab the songs I want and throw them on a CD. I upload the cd to iTunes on my computer and throw it on my iPod that way.

7. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

Uh... there is. I just said how to do it. You just have to setup your iPod/iPhone to manually manage your library.

8. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

wait... i must be misunderstanding your posts because what you wrote previously made it sound like you need to jailbreak your iPod/iPhone to do this. so, if i set iTunes on both my PC and my laptop, i can manually copy various media files (music, podcasts, video) to my iPhone on both computers? what exactly is the process for doing this?

9. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

There's two ways to do this.

One way is to setup your iPod/iPhone to manually manage your library. That way you can add music from more than one computer. This does not need to be on a jailbroken iPod/iPhone.

The second way to do this is to have a jailbroken iPod/iPhone. There's this app you download that allows you to have more than 1 library on your device, hence you can sync with more than 1 computer. I forget what the name of the app is, but you download it from Cydia or Installer.