iPod connection problem (firewire vs USB)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Maffy29, Feb 18, 2006.

1. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

I have a 20GB U2 Special Edition iPod. I currently connect it up with firewire to my computer. Everything works fine. The iPod is completely updated and I have the latest version of iTunes. I installed a firewire card in my old computer to connect an external hardrive, since the system did not have USB 2.0. I recently purchased a new computer that does not have a firewire port. While I could just move the card over to the new computer, I want to figure this issue out first. I try to connect the iPod through the USB 2.0 and the new computer can't recognize the iPod. Same goes for my laptop. I heard that some iPods will only connect through firewire. Is that true? My iPod is about a little more than a year old. Any info would be helpful.

2. Echilon

Echilon Reichsführer

Maybe it has to be set to connect with firewire. When you plug it in, does the screen show 'Do not disconnect'? I can't really see why you'd want to switch to IEEE1394 so much anyway, 1394a is 400Mbps, USB2.0 is 480Mbps.

3. jordan04

jordan04 The seeds of love have taken hold, and if we won't

Firewire is still way faster. It's like a well known fact that the numbers between the two don't matter.

4. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

Right, I'm aware of the speed differences and being faster with firewire. However, I only have one computer with the ability to connect with firewire and its my oldest machine. I'm just trying to figure out why it won't connect with USB.