ipod and car connectivity

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fade, Jun 6, 2005.

1. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

im helping my friend so he can play his ipod through his car's stereo but it only has a cd player. btw its a hyundai xg300. please no hater comments.

we have several options i think.
    1) buy an aftermarket hu with an aux in the front or back
    2) buy oem cd player with tape deck
    3) fm modulator

here are the problems
    1) aftermarket HU's fitment will be a problem because of the odd cd player size (close to GM's huge ones) and im not sure how i might go about getting a bracket for it.
    2) oem cd player/tape deck is costly
    3) how do i power the fm modulator? do i tap into an existing power source? :hs:

i am a total audio noob so help will be greatly appreciated.

there is one more option i think, in the back of the oem cd player, there is an input for a cd changer through an 8-pin din socket. however this one has a rather odd layout?

[​IMG]

thanks guys

:naughty:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2005
  2. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You could probably create an adapter that would send the 2 channels to the correct pins, but it would be tricky to figure out what type of signal to send to the other pins to make the OEM deck recognize the connection.

FM modulater is powered via the iPod. So, you may want to buy a Belkin car adapter.

My recommendation is the aftermarket HU with aux input. It will provide the best sound out of the three options. Go to www.crutchfield.com and enter your friend's car information and they should have a bracket....

I just went to their site, and looked at kits for a 2001 xg300, and it says it's a standard fit. What year is your friend's car? It doesn't seem like you'll need a bracket of any kind...

3. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

so how do i turn on/off the fm modulator? doesnt that have something to do with the 12v power ?

[​IMG]

i put in 2001 xg300 and it says modified fit :hs:

any HUs hat youd reccomend thats under 150?

thanks for the help

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

check out www.pie.net and www.peripheral-aamp.com to see if they have any adaptors that will plug into the cd changer port on the back. this will give you as good sound quality that your stock radio will allow.

5. veonake

I was referring to the iTrip FM modulator by apple that connects to the top of your iPod, which is powered by the iPod.

You're absolutely right about the modified fit. Sorry. It doesn't show up on the main page and you don't find out until you actually select a head unit and then it says you have to fabricate an adapter. That sucks. Someone must make an aftermarket adapter for the car... Hm. Maybe you'll need a pro to install it for you.

As far as head units under $150, go with anything Alpine and look on eBay to save a lot of money.

6. fade

fade tie your shoe bitch

ah hah, the itrip is an fm transmittor not a modulator ;)

7. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

the new Alpines have ipod capability, but its with the addition of a $100 adapter, which is on top of Alpines highish prices already.

i'm working on hookin up the ipod adapter and a new alpine HU in my car this/next week.

8. veonake

Ah, you technical bastard. :squint: :hs: I'm normally the guy to point those things out. :hsd: