Iphone question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by macbook bro, Sep 24, 2009.

1. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

My parents have agreed to allow me to stay on the family cell phone plan, but I have to send them a check for my line's part of the bill. each month.
    I have (functionally, given how little I talk on the phone) unlimited talk time already, and unlimited texting, and I haven't done the exact math yet but i figure I will owe somewhere in the neighborhood of $20 per month.

i want to get an iphone. can i just add unlimited data to only my line and use the iphone? it seems that would be much cheaper than the $100/mo or whatever people are saying it costs to have an iphone

i don't know dick about cell phones/plans so, excuse me if this is a stupid question

2. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

What are they making you pay now, $20? If you are paying for your 'unlimited text' already then all you'll need to add is the Data plan for an extra $30, iirc.

...but yes, cheaper than if you had the plan & iphone on your own.

3. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

This is what I do, my line is $10 a month + $30 for the iPhone data plan.

4. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

like i said we haven't done the math yet so im not paying anything as of this moment, i assume it will be around 20 a month

next question:
    would it be feasible to use the iphone as a wireless modem with my laptop instead of having internet from the cable company? how fast is 3g internet? is the data really "unlimited"? if possible (and, depending on my living situation) it might make sense to just use my cell phone for home internet access... is this reasonable or am i being stupidly cheap?

5. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

Tethering (using the iphone as a modem) has yet to 'officially' be released on AT&T. Therefore, costs associated with tethering aren't available...whether or not tethering will be available on jailbroken phones without being charged is up in the air atm. If you do utilize tethering 'legally' then it 'should' be unlimited, but we will have to see when tethering is officially launched.

Technically, yes, you could use the iphone as a modem. 3G is faster than dsl in my area...I can get 2Mbps outside. AT&T is rolling out the 7.2Mbps service in select cities soon...so shit will be quick!

Are you being stupidly cheap though? I don't have an issue paying for my FiOS connection at home and utilize my iPhone while I'm away from home. I don't have to worry about AT&T 'throttling' my connection and I can dl whatever I want quicker with FiOS. :)

6. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

so what you're saying is that what i want to do is illegal?

7. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

No not illegal. Just before it's officially released there was nothing from Apple nor AT&T about it.

From my understanding...WinMo phones with internet capability can be tethered without a tether plan from AT&T. I thought I had heard of ppl dl'ing large amounts of data and having a chance of being charged for tethering. Whether or not (or even how much data is used) this is actually happening is beyond me. I've never done it. WinMO phones have always had the ability to tether and AT&T recognized tethering as a 'priced option' add-on.

8. macbook bro

macbook bro Guest

well the iphone-as-modem thing is a bit down the line, so i have some time to google around and find out about it

9. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

No probs...let us know if you have any other ?s