iPhone Multitasking

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by verbal, Jun 22, 2008.

1. verbal

verbal Active Member

Do you guys agree with Steve Jobs' / Apple's thoughts on apps running in the background?

We should get a petition together and see if Apple will add true multitasking. I don't get why they're 'dumbing down' the OS more and more for the iPhone. There could easily be a setting where I can choose if apps can run in the background. If *I* want my battery to drain faster, it should be my choice.

Sorry about all my iPhone bitch threads lately. I'm just aggrivated. :hs:

2. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

3. littlewing

littlewing fly on

It's not just about battery life. If you allow a bunch of programs to run in the background and they don't act nice then you have freezing apps and a phone that crashes. It's impossible for them to put all the combination of situations through qa and people are going to point the finger at Apple if the phone stability is poor.

You may be a fairly educated user but lots of people aren't. They don't know that it might be their shitty unofficial aim client that's causing them to crash every time they try to dial their mom. All they know is that they bought the phone from Apple and now it doesn't work. Is it a nice thing? Yes. But it also creates a lot of potential issues. The mainstream media doesn't care about whether apps can run in the background or not. But they do care about Apple putting out a phone that has an unstable OS and would report on that.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

iPhone 3 will have a faster processor probably and will allow for this kind of stuff. Thats why I'm waiting :run:

5. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

personally i prefer the idea that apple's come up with in all honesty...
    i've used smart phones with shit running in the background and it's not the best experiences in my book... slow or unstable...

6. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

Apple's definitely right that you don't want to be running user apps in the background on a mobile device... you're basically at the mercy of the programmers to trust that all the programs you have are able to share resources optimally, which is extremely unlikely to happen. If you watched the keynote, Scott Forstall poked some fun at the fact that WinMo even has a task manager, and how shitty a mobile experience it is.

I just hope the notification service works out okay. Or maybe down the line there will be some sort of limited architecture for running daemons in the background :dunno: unless it was extremely tightly controlled (read: Apple vetting the apps), it would probably end up a clusterfuck.

7. littlewing

littlewing fly on

Processor speed isn't the reason for not allowing apps to run in the background. It's battery life and stability of the OS.

8. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

or so they say :o

9. verbal

verbal Active Member

I'm not sure where to start.

First, I'll just say what about Windows Mobile? More people use it than the iPhone. They manage just fine.

It's impossible to put all the situations through QA? Microsoft can but Apple can't? You make no sense at all.

My point is, not all people that buy the iPhone are looking for a seamless smartphone experience. Some of use geeks want the ability to do whatever we can think. And unfortunately we could with a Windows Mobile phone. Like I said in my original post, there could EASILY be an option to have apps run in the background. It could just be an on off switch in the settings. People that want an 'easy to use' phone could, and those that want a more advanced phone could too. Win win.

The mainstream media? What does that have to do with anything? Compare windows mobile with iPhone OS and they are totally different. WinMo has features since it's birth and iPhone probably won't have for a long time. It doesn't really make sense.

10. verbal

verbal Active Member

If that's what you prefer, then great. Then you could easily just close the application when you're done with it.

It's easy to choose to close and app or keep it open.

11. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

you have the weakest argument ever... i mean why would i ever want a seamless phone experience... i want something that i have to disable things and tweak stuff to make it work right straight out of the box...

oh and managing just fine is just okay with me, i mean why do i want a good experience with something if putting up with it works just as well...

you should be in marketing...

12. littlewing

littlewing fly on

Windows mobile has a rep as a poor and buggy mobile OS. Even windows mobile users on this very forum talk about how bad it is and how they hope future revisions improve.

Microsoft doesn't put all the apps through all the QA situations. That was exactly my point. They don't QA everything and the result is an OS that has app conflicts and crashes and needs a task manager and has awful battery life if you aren't careful. That's also why you have all these roms going around that are needed to improve battery life and get rid of the conflicts.

My point about the media is that Apple is doing everything the can to be the anti-Windows Mobile. So if they suddenly have an OS that crashes because of apps hogging memory or conflicts then the media is going to report on that and kill the current happy-happy-joy-joy fest that the media has with Apple.

If you're one of the people in the minority who doesn't want the seamless phone then you should jailbreak it and hope that some talented people decide to remain independent of the app store. The seamless phone is exactly the image apple wants to present.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  13. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

if you really want to point to a good scenario where users are successfully multitasking on their phones, WinMo is a horrible start :p Android is coming out soon though, and we'll see how it does as a mobile platform. It's looking pretty good so far.

14. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Apple doesn't give a fuck what you think. Start all the petitions you want, they aren't going to change it just because you and a bunch of other people want them to.

15. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

MF:werd: