iPhone Cover/Case?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BIGsteev, Jan 30, 2008.

1. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

I recently bought an iPhone, and one of the things I keep worrying about is scratching it. I have thought about buying a case of some sort, but the phone is big enough already, and I don't really know if I want the extra bulk in my pocket. Plus I really like the way the phone looks without the cover. What do you guys recommend, buying a case, or no?

2. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member

Check out www.seidioonline.com

whenever i get a new cell thats where i go to get a new case or holster.

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Initially I got a cheap clear plastic case with a screen protector online (cost like $6 shipped). At Macworld, I paid $20 (normally $25) for an invisibleSHIELD. I put it on and it doesn't cover a good +1mm of the front screen and has visible vertical streaks going on. I emailed the company about it and asked for a refund per their 30 day return policy. Tonight I got an email back saying they can't refund it and I need to contact Macworld (I specifically said I got it at the Macworld Expo so I don't know who they mean by Macworld, the magazine or expo) as they can't refund it. I asked for a receipt at the show and they said they didn't have any (some companies do this as that means they don't have any record of a sale and don't have to claim any sales tax etc on anything they sell at the show). The VP of sales and marketing who I bought it from was nice enough to fill out one of his business cards and sign it as a receipt and said I should contact him if I have any further questions/needs. I'm emailing them back now to let them know he gave me his info. We'll see how it goes.

From the reviews I've read, the BodyGuardz cover is the best clear cover (I really meant to get theirs at the show and only after buying the invisibleSHIELD realized I had gotten the wrong one but figured I'd give it a try (got the names mixed up)).

I'd like to goto a clear cover but at the same time it's nice to have a plastic cover that protects it more from drops and has a built in stand. I'd like one without the belt clip to make it as small as possible but haven't found one yet.

4. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

my original iphone got scratched to hell because for some reason i decided that on principle i wouldn't baby it. the bottom plastic scratched going into the dock, the back scratched from being on tables, the glass scratched from keys in my pocket, and the bezel scratched from dust particles floating by in the air.

something broke, and i got a replacement.

i went with:

the anti-glare screen cover (no adhesive, makes the screen more visible, and no smudges

the agent18 eco plastic case

and a wide piece of clear packaging tape on the back of the agent18 case. this will prevent the case from coming apart, keep the bottom of the case scratch-free, and protect the camera.

this way, in a year or so, i'll be able to sell it in perfect condition. hopefully.

5. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I have a case by powersupport I got at the Apple store. It came with a screen protector, the clear case, and a clip to hold the case.

[​IMG]

6. haargerman

haargerman ayuh.

+1 for agent18

7. scotty

scotty why don't you take a seat right over there? OT Supporter

I have a black iSkin revo. http://www.iskin.com/revo_overview.html
    Its nice because it has a silicon type protection for drops and such, but when I have it in my pocket its really hard to take out since my whole pocket comes with it. I've been meaning to looking to a clear type shield that perserves the look, but at the same time protects against drops and scratches.

8. TALLandNcharge

TALLandNcharge New Member

9. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Mine may be cut wrong as no matter how you put it there is at least 1mm of the side of the screen left uncovered. The streaks are only visible at some andles but still annoying. The slightly sticky and bumpy free makes it harder to scroll and shrink or expand things (not a lot but enough that I notice and it bugs me a bit). I'm much happier with the crystal clear and smooth cheap sticker covers. I got 3 for $4 shipped and they last several months. You can't tell there's anything on the screen or feel it.

If youre gonna go with the invisibleSHIELD then get the BodyGuards instead. Costs the same price but you get 2 of them. All the reviews I've seen say they are slightly better and done have as many pieces to put on. They're also clearer and easier to apply. Sure the invisibleSHIELD has a lifetime warranty but their customer service is horrid from what I've experienced so good luck getting a replacement.

10. tehaviator

tehaviator what u think badass that me

You would think that their customer service would be way better, considering what they're charging for some clear fucking plastic. I use their products on everything, though, and I've never has a problem.

11. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I've sent a 2nd customer service request tonight as they haven't responded to my last reply over 48 hours ago. They told me that anything bought at Macworld I need to contact Macworld about. WTF? They were the ones selling it at the booth. They were taking cash ONLY and giving no receipts (great way to not claim the profits on your taxes as many other cultures do). I asked for a receipt and the VP of Sales and Marketing who I bought it from gave me a strange look. He was nice enough to write out on one of his business cards that I bought the iPhone cover for $20 and sign it. I didn't think I'd need it but turns out I do. Now I hope this will be my key to a refund from a company that seems to not wanna give one. Like you said though, it's a 2¢*piece of plastic made by 3M right here in Minnesota (that they're selling for $25 because they've done a 1/2 assed job of cutting it to fit the iPhone). I'd rather have a sheet of the stuff to cut myself so I can make sure it's large enough to fit it.

12. verbal

verbal Active Member

I'm trying to decide on a case too. I'd like to still keep the phone as small as possible AND be able to dock it-- either with the case on or by easily removing the case. Does such a case exist?

BTW: Can the same dock be used for the iPhone and 5th Gen iPod?