iPhone bluetooth question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kamikaze, Sep 7, 2007.

1. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

Is there a serial port profile for the iPhone? I have a carpc and I've been writing software that integrates my SE T637 cell phone via Bluetooth serial port profile. The phone gets setup with a com port, and then I just send AT commands to the phone from within my software and monitor and filter the responses accordingly. I would assume the iPhone has a serial port profile, but I want to know if its GSM modem will accept AT commands.

If someone has an iPhone and some free time, try this out for me :x:

1. Setup the serial port profile with your iPhone and computer and make note of the com port. there may be more than one com port, so make note of all of them.
    2. open Zterm (OS X, not included but free download) or hyperterminal (Windows) and setup a connection to the com port that you'd set up previously. You may need to try multiple ports if you got more than 1 port in step 1.
    3. Type ATZ and press enter, it should reply with OK. If it doesn't, then it's probably not going to work for what I want.
    4. If you do get OK, type ATDT, followed by a local phone number (preferably someone you want to talk to, followed by a semicolon with no spaces. EX: ATDT5551234; and press enter. If this works as expected, your phone should dial that phone number, and you will be able to talk to whoever you called.

Assuming this works, I can most likely find the rest of what I need on the net. With the recent price drop and people working hard to unlock this thing, I'll hopefully be able to have one of these before Rogers releases them in Canada, but if it's not going to work with the software that I'm writing, then there isn't really much point in contuning with the software.

Thanks ;)

2. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

nobody huh...

Oh well

3. Mofolicious

Mofolicious New Member

bluetooth on an iPhone are for headsets only. It will not sync with a computer over bluetooth.

4. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

5. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

Syncing isn't what I'm after tho...all i need is a Serial port profile. So what you are saying is that there's only a headset profile, and nothing else? If that's the case i guess i won't be getting one. Limiting bluetooth to headset only is a gross misuse of the technology, IMO/

6. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

no fucking idea what your talking about

7. kamikaze

kamikaze Active Member

That's ok...I guess i'll jus have to wait until they are either out here or until there's more info on the net

8. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

iphone bluetooth implementation is VERY limited. no way to hook up to a GPS, carPC, or anything else.

9. Raider007

Raider007 om nom nom nom

it's basically like 99% of all the other phones out there...
    crippled in some stupid sort of way...