iPhone 3G home button not working?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by manchild, Apr 29, 2009.

1. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

My home button doesn't work, if I want to change applications etc I have to turn it off then back on, kind of a huge hassle. If it changes anything about 3 weeks ago the top button would only work every so often and if I pushed it down really hard, and now that's completely fine.

I just did two restores and it hasn't helped...is there anything I can do for this besides going to the Genius Bar? I've had this thing since day 1 and it's a bit beat up, last time I took it to the Genius Bar for some dead pixels, they wouldn't take it because of some scratches a nick in the back.

That or has anyone ever replaced the back cover on a 3G due to scratches or what not (with the intentions on keeping the warranty?)

2. Curren$y

Curren$y New Member

if you have a warranty i would definitely take it in.

If you replace the back cover it voids the warranty.

If you can't get it fixed with the warranty have someone fix it on craigslist. But if you have never opened it, and you do infact have a warranty, i would raise hell for them not fixing it.

3. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i am starting to get dead pixels, but the back of mine is cracked to shit, i hope they replace it :o

4. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

If it's under warranty, as r81gsr95 says, take it in.

Dead pixels are a manufacturer defect, regardless if the casing is beat up. If the Genius can't help or won't, go higher (i.e. mgr).
    Normal wear and tear wouldn't cause dead pixels.

5. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

the worst part about the pixels is that they flicker on and off, there are about 6 now that just randomly turn green or red :hs: :o

so it is hard to go and be like "zomg the screen is dying" :(

6. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

Genius's expect Apple to have a 'flawless' product so having any mfgr issue brought to them is usually quickly resolved.

7. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

That's what I said last time. The product is under warranty until June 11th, so I'm going to bitch.

There aren't any Apple Stores near me, but I go back home May 9th, where there are two. So I'm going to try genius there, if they turn it down should I go to a manager at that store, or try to call it in for a repair? Down at the bottom of the case, near the charger port, there are 2 hairline cracks.

8. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

The hairline cracks are a well known issue for the 3G. Ppl get their 3Gs replaced just because of the same cracks you have. The dead pixels are an added bonus and even more of a reason to return.

I'm really surprised you were told no regarding the dead pixels.

9. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i haven't been told no - i wasn't sure about the cracks. i mean i have dropped it once and there is a scrape on the side. i figure they'd reject it based on that

but then again, my friend just shattered the glass on his 3G and they gave him a new one, no questions asked :rofl:

10. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Yeah they said no to the pixels BECAUSE of the cracks, saying it was accidental damage that was MY fault, and the the pixels could be a result of be dropping it etc.

Whatever I'm going to float from store to store and bitch anyone out that gets in my way.

11. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

:h5:

Let us know if you succeed.

12. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

the macfag at the smart bar told me cracks WEREN'T a replaceable item, and intermittent dead pixels weren't either. :greddy:

he ended up replacing it, but i always get ghey excuses when i have something serviced.

13. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

yeah thats EXACTLY what I got last time, except that the cracks were MY fault (how the hell in the first place would i crack it there anyways). AND they didn't replace it.

I won't be home for another week and a half so I'll update with how it goes then. Thanks for everyone's help

14. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

While I am sure it is my fault (sitting on it, tossing it) - it is clearly a design flaw. The shell shouldn't crack like that.

15. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Have a genius bar appointment tomorrow, in the notes I only mentioned the home button being broken and a a bunch of dead pixels...

I just want to make sure that I say everything correctly. Should I point out the hairline cracks at the bottom and make it a point that those cracks are another reason I want a replacement, as they "aren't my fault"?

The last time I was there about just the dead pixels, they were pretty pushy about not giving me a new iPhone. What are the major arguments that I need to bring up (i.e. that the pixels are manufacture's warranty and should be replaced regardless of damage, is there anywhere that is stated in writing? - MrEous that's mostly at you because you said that)

Thanks guys. I'm moving so won't be able to respond to this until around 11AM EST tomorrow.

16. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

I haven't seen documentation regarding dead pixels being a mfgr fault...but I have never, ever heard of dead pixels being caused because of carelessness/anything other than mfgr fault. If you get an lcd monitor from a mfgr and it has dead pixels, do they automatically say it was your fault or do they replace it? :)

If they get pushy, ask for a supervisor or manager. They won't want to deal with you especially with other people in the store...I really can't believe they would be pushy about getting a replacement for you.

17. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Alright solid thanks a ton! You've been a big help. I'll be sure to post up how everything goes.

18. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

At the apple store now, apparently I have water damage because the bottom sticker is pink under the USB port. He said that can only happen if it is completely submerged in water for at least 20 seconds, which has never happened as far as I know. He did say that they would replace it if it didn't have the water damage...

As of Sunday apple added a $200 iPhone replacement for water damage only. I'm on the fence but I'm probably going to do it.

19. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

omfg...

This is beyond Apple's acknowledgment but a drop of sweat could turn the white strip to pink. Also, I thought the water damage indicator was in the headphone jack?

**EDIT...not my pic

[​IMG]

20. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

I had heard this...is it for a direct replacement (16GB -- 16GB swap) or is it only for the minimum 8GB?

21. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

ugh my replacement phone is fucking up. i have to hit the home button or the power button like 4x to get the screen to turn on - surely they will blame it on 3.0 :greddy:

22. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

Which 3.0 are you on?

23. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

b4, i need to upgrade to b5

24. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

well it is more of, if i press the home/power button, it takes a 5-10 seconds for it to turn on

25. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

Yeah you need to update to b5...but fyi, I didn't have that issue with b4.

:noes: