IP question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SiempreFresco, Oct 31, 2005.

1. SiempreFresco

SiempreFresco New Member

So this random guy was harassing my gf on AIM pretending to be some chick she knows and asking her for "nude pictures for my photography class." I had him click on my website and logged his IP and all that shit. Anyway can I get personal information out of the IP like a name or location?

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

No, you cannot get personal information from that. However, if the IP resolves to an well-known ISP, you could probably figure out what his e-mail address is if he accidently blabbered his username, or if username he has on AIM is his ISP username.

What you could do is see what the IP resolves to and go to that ISP website and then send an e-mail or a complaint (some ISP's have complaint forms on their website). Be sure to give him as much information as you can. I think they usually require a Timezone, even though they could easily obtain it themselves if they wanted to.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

You may also be able to find out the operating system he's using and such using nmap. I can't really see how that would be useful to you though :dunno:

Contacting the ISP is probably the best course of action.

4. SiempreFresco

SiempreFresco New Member

Oh well I kniow hes an AOL user on Windows XP. IP is 152.163.100.135 when I reverse DNS I get cache-rtc-ac06.proxy.aol.com in City: Sterling, Virginia. I dont know anyone from VA. Im not confident in the VA, I know the AOL headquarters are in virginia. Oh well fuck it.

5. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

6. photo_piyamp

photo_piyamp New Member

i'm no expert in this type of thing but if you have his ip couldn't you trace it? like back when i used to use zonealarm there was a feature that would trace the ip to the original location and give you an address or city or whatever. if you can find a public version of that to find his address couldn't you google or phone book it? i'm more of a hardware kind of guy, i'm not much into software so sorry if this is a wild goose chase.

7. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

You cannot obtain addresses through an IP address. The closest you'll be able to get is the address of the ISP.

8. ski

ski New Member

Let AOL deal with it. You won't achieve anything by probing his ports.

9. ski

ski New Member

Not always.

10. ski

ski New Member

Correct, at the closest you'll get a city/metropolitan area, but even that is difficult.