IP over Firewire to a PC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Bobsbarricades, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Bobsbarricades

Bobsbarricades New Member

First - I used to share my internet connection with my PC through my iBook (because it was a wireless network and my iBook had wireless) through my ethernet cable.

Second - I moved and that stopped working. iBook has internet but PC won't get it. I reformatted the PC (had to for other purposes) and still nothing.

Third - I try to connect via firewire.... nothing

Fourth - come to OT and ask help or hang myself

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

3. kanish

kanish schwigitty schwigitty schwagg

Are you sure you weren't stealing wireless at old place with both ? :dunno:

4. Bobsbarricades

hha, thanks for the link barley but I have tried using that one. I don't think the problem is on the Mac side, but the PC side not 'understanding' the connection.

The PC network connection says that it's connected - I hit repair and it finishes repairing. I can oing my iBook at 192.168.2.1 and it is successfull all 3 times. I have that set as my IP addy on the PC as well as the default gatewway.

Interestingly enough on my iBook my IP addy is 192.168.2.100 not .1 - the .1 is the router address but the PC can't ping the .100 adress.

5. Bobsbarricades

anybody else have any ideas? it is legal both before and here. BTW :p

6. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

on your iBook, which interface is acting as WAN and which is acting as LAN? In other words, how is your PC connecting to the iBook when it's acting as a router? Wired WAN to wireless LAN, or the opposite?

If both the "WAN" and "LAN" interfaces on your iBook are on the 192.168.2.x network segment, you're going to have problems if the iBook is trying to NAT to your PC on the same network segment as the one that the iBook itself is getting a connection from. Essentially, if this is true, you are putting two routers on the same network segment, which will fuck with anything downstream of the iBook.

If that's the case, try changing the network segment your router doles out IPs on to something like 192.168.1.x or 192.168.3.x -- something different than the 192.168.2.x segment that the iBook is trying to NAT on. Unless you're stealing wireless and can't access the router, that is. :p