IP adresses

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DuxDevil, Jul 1, 2004.

1. DuxDevil

DuxDevil Guest

How would I go about changing my IP adress on a wireless network, its not connecting to my router, but to a router on another signal coming from my neighbours house. My tech support is no help, so if you guys could give me some pointers, that would be great.
    Thanks

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

You need to release your old ip address.

Go to Start -> Run then type in command or cmd if that doesn't work. Hit enter.

You'll now have the command prompt window.

Type in ipconfig. It will show you what your current IP address is.

Type in ipconfig /release_all or ipconfig /release if the first doesn't work.
    (This releases all old IP information)

Type in ipconfig /renew_all or ipconfig /renew if the first doesn't work.
    (This tells your wireless card to refresh)

And done.

The reason for all the double commands is that I don't know what OS you are using. Make you sure include it when you ask a question :)

3. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Err...to change the wireless network you are connecting to is simple but it is WIDELY different depending on wireless brand. I need to know your Windows version, what type of wireless brand you have (linksys, netgear, dlink, etc) and so on.

You might be automatically connecting to your neighbors network because it is wireless-g while yours is only wireless-b. You need to manually select your own network when logging on.

4. PPI Typhoon

PPI Typhoon Guest

Agreed, if you're using auto-detect, you could run into all kinds of problems. Although, it can be fun at the same time. :bigthumb: