IP Address Conflict With Access Point

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sexual Vanilla, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Okay here's the deal:
    I recently set up our small-ish office building (10 employees or so) with a wireless router and access point. Both devices are Linksys. The router is connected to our T1 line. The signal wasn't sufficient to cover both floors, so I installed an access point on the bottom floor. (we have existing ethernet wiring throughout the building that is connected to a switch, which is then connected to the wireless router)

I followed all instructions regarding the setup of the access point, and it works great, except for the damned IP address conflicts that occur on occasion. Every once in a while, an employee will run into this problem, and they will lose connection. I can fix it by manually assigning them an IP address in the higher numbers (ensuring no one has taken it). This problem only then repeats itself because the majority of the employees have wireless networks at home which assign different IP addresses than the one I gave.

Any ideas on why this is happening?

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Assuming they are using Windows XP and assuming you are using 192.168.1. as an address you should try changing to 192.168.2 or higher. In XP there is a setting under TCP/IP for Alternate Configuration, there you can assign another set of gateway/ip/etc.

You might have to set two setups for each computer. One that will work at the office and one that will work at home.

Bob:
    1: 192.168.1.3
    2: 192.168.2.3

Bill:
    1: 192.168.1.5
    2: 192.168.2.5

--

I know it sucks but I don't think there's another way to do this in XP.

3. Sexual Vanilla

Yeah, I believe that may be the only solution. I just figured I had done something wrong, because one would think IP address conflicts would have been taken care of by the hardware automatically. I mean damn, the access point wasn't cheap and this seems like a problem that shouldn't be happening.

About the alternate config...does Windows XP know automatically which configuration to use based on where you are? Or would the user have to manually change once he/she left the office. The reason I ask is that many employees are not technically inclined, and if I told them to "Swap to your alternate configuration when you get home," they would stare blankly at me.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

this can be done by using a unique ssid at work, and not using the default.

the client software *should* change settings to the profile of the ssid to which it associates.

5. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Alternate Config. is kinda like a "hunt" it'll check the first config and if it doesn't connect it moves onto the next and so on. It shouldn't require any user intervention.

The SSID thing from 7960 is probably the first thing you want to try.

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I would go this route as well. I never leave the router running the default SSID.

7. 7960

7960 New Member

I'm still confused by something........ how is your router assigning an address that's in use? Is your router's address in the DHCP pool? Have you tried using an DHCP address range that's not "typical" for any home use? When there's a conflict have you found which two are conflicting and why or do you just reassign it without finding out why there's a conflict?

8. Sexual Vanilla

I use a unique SSID for the building. As far as the conflict goes, I haven't been able to do much troubleshooting because I am about 3 hours away, so I usually just talk them through it by phone and tell them to manually assign an IP address for the time being. Perhaps this diagram will help:
    [​IMG]

The SSID is the same for both the access point and the router obviously. The channels are different to minimize interference. When you move around the building, it will swap sources automatically.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You've got to have two devices handing out DHCP addresses. DHCP works like this:

1. My last IP was this: x.x.x.x. Is it available? Yes? Give it to me and end this shit.
    2. No? Well fuck - just give me what's available.

One DHCP server per subnet - or if you want - multiple DHCP servers with no overlapping of IP addresses.

If anyone is running a static IP, this will cause you grief to no end.

10. 7960

7960 New Member

I wouldn't be surprised if this is somehow causing his problem...if he is actually creating the conflict since his solution is to set a static address.

IMO next time it happens talk them through ipconfig /release ... ipconfig /renew and see if that fixes it.

11. Gli

Gli i can has fast duck?

12. Sexual Vanilla

If anyone cares, I solved the problem by buying a router that allows me to assign IP addresses based on MAC addresses (the shitty Linksys router does not allow this). Kinda like using a bazooka to kill a mouse, but it got the job done.

13. KWood94XJ

KWood94XJ New Member

you should have changed the firm ware to DD-WRT or OPEN-WRT and you would have more options than you know what to do with.

14. 5Gen_Prelude

I have my doubts it will fix the problem permantely but whatever.

15. 7960

7960 New Member

it probably will, but like he even said it was also probably totally unnecessary

16. 5Gen_Prelude

Not really - he never routed out the real problem. The only way you can get IP conflicts in DHCP is if you have more than one unit handing out IP addresses in the same range.

17. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Tell me if I am missing something, but why do you have more than one device using DHCP?

18. Sexual Vanilla

That's the thing...the Access Point can not act as a DHCP server. It says so in the manual: "This access point is nothing more than a wireless hub, and as such cannot be configured to handle DHCP capabilities."
    I just realized something odd though...when I access "Attached Devices" in the router's setup page, only people who are in range of the router's wireless signal are listed, not people who are connected by the access point's wireless range. Do you think the switch may have something to do with it?

19. 7960

7960 New Member

did you type that right? it seems to contradict itself.

20. Sexual Vanilla

Yes, the router (which is also wireless) covers the top floor while the AP covers the bottom floor.
    So only people who are in range of the router's wireless signal are listed as an attached device. Everyone else (who are connected to the AP) is not listed in the router's attached devices page.

21. Sexual Vanilla

Okay, I actually fixed the original problem...this time without using the new router. Apparently the access point has several "modes" of operation. I just left it to the default, which was "Access Point." After looking in the admin page, I found several different modes, and swapped it to one called "Wireless Repeater," which is what I wanted to begin with. I simply had to enter the MAC address of the router, and we were good to go. No problems whatsoever now.

Just in case anyone cared.

22. 7960

7960 New Member

that makes more sense

did you return the other one?

more importantly, are you going to take back your "shitty Linksys router" comment? :rofl:

23. Sexual Vanilla

Yes, I returned the Netgear, but I am standing by my original shitty Linksys router comment. No ability to manually assign an IP address by MAC address FTL. :nono: