Iomega Rev + Backup Exec 10

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by eighteen_psi, Sep 16, 2005.

1. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

Does anyone have experience using an Iomega Rev with BE 10 on Sever 2003?

The guy I'm supporting is seeing hard locks during backups but they are intermittent. The rev is set up as a removable backup-to-disk folder and when it doesn't lock up, it works fine.

Symantec (Veritas) support forums are full of people having trouble with these things but tech support is rather useless in determining what the problem actually is. Iomega says it's set up properly, and Symantec says they'll get back to me...but haven't been of any value so far.

Meh? :ugh2:

2. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

:hsugh: tape or diskette based backup systems

With that kind of cost should have gone to completely hard disc based data vault.

In answer to your question:

Symantec - Should know better than to use a symantec product.
    Since you have to use it anyway -

Check the event log on the server. See what happened at that time.

3. eighteen_psi

This isn't my rig. I enjoy SAV plenty..but VBE (now owned by symantec) hasn't been kind to me over the years. I run arcserve myself. I'm not a huge fan of the Rev, but its way faster, less expensive, etc. than any tape half it's size. For the record I run DDS-4 on my personal rig.

Anyway, it's what they have. There is no event log. Backups don't fail on the software side, the system just hard locks.

4. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

The reason I say check the event log - is because something else could be going on during the time of the backup that might lend you a clue. I.e. system, application, etc etc

Sometimes the system throws an error that at first glance seems unrelated. Any entry in the event viewer at the scheduled time of backup would help see what's going on. If it's intermittant , maybe there's an errant sql operation happening at the same time, or maybe the Veritas software conflicts with other software, etc etc

5. eighteen_psi

Nothing showing in the event logs that I can correlate to the times this happens...but I did get some more detailed info. Apparently the system doesn't lock up per se. The GUI locks up, is non responsibe, but all services continue. The system never becomes responsible again, though, and needs to be hard-reset to get back to normal. :squint:

6. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

it's definitely software related if the server locks up...

I guess you should be more specific as to what's actually locking up

the back up drive, or the server?

7. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Then it's an OS issue, and could be possibly caused by hardware, but the OS is basically locking up for all intents and purposes. Does the back up system generate log's? in the application files? Check with the manuf. to see... I know our products generate error codes or logs that you run a problem report wizard (in the admin console of the application we use) , over a range of time that it happened. Then you can gather these logs and upload them to manu and they see what happened step by step.