WEB Invision Power 3.0

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by karp2381, Jul 23, 2009.

1. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

Ok.

If you guys follow the forum scene, you'll see that there is some unrest in the vB community concerning Internet Brands handling of the 4.0 release of vB. I run a few forums powered off of vB, and while I am a fan of the software, 4.0 presents a number of welcome improvements and changes to the system. Given the current state of affairs, however, I think I'm going to leave my vB sites at a perpetual state of version 3.8.3. There are plenty of mods and re-works out there to deliver a command performance.

For my new site I'm starting, I decided to give IPB 3.0 a go. I must say, even having been a vB user, I am hugely impressed with what IPB has down with their software. The release itself is about a month old, but already, the amount and ease of customization amazes me. I don't really want to pimp them any more, but I am glad I went this route for a new site. The file hosting and image hosting modules are top notch too.(Now, I just need to bridge the user database between the two :mamoru:.)

Any other OT'er started to use IPB 3 series?

2. Ricky

Ricky █▄ █▄█ █▄ ▀█▄

that's some old school shit right there.

what are you using to transfer your mysql tables for IPB?

3. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

The "unrest" is over people wanting to pay the same price for a product that no longer functions the way it used to. I paid the same for an owned license back at the beginning of vb 2.0 that you can now pay for the 3.8.x series, which has more than doubled in what it does out of the box.

People don't want to open up their wallets a bit more for a product that has changed drastically. The forum only release, which is still hugely better than the old vb releases, is only going to be $15 more.

The complete suite will be a great deal if they keep it with like they say they're going to - every product developed afterwards is included. Right now, with the CMS, Blog, and project tools, it's a good value. If they keep their word and new products are included in the suite, then it becomes a better deal.

4. LOLZILLA

LOLZILLA New Member

I kind of agree with what chalupa said.

5. Audioholic

Audioholic New Member

I used IPB years ago when switching from phpBB and I can tell you back then (My guess is around 2004ish) is that back then everyone was leaving IPB (including myself) for vB due to the way they were running the company back then so the tide just seems to shift every once in a while and I think I am going to ride things out with vB as it has proven to be an awesome piece of software for me and the hack/mod following is unreal.

Not sure what IPB has for a hack following now but I don't believe it was ever as big as vB was it?

6. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

No. I'm completely new to the ipb scene.

But, I'm going to give their new software a try. I will probably end up waiting for 4.0 to be out for a great while before updating the software - if ever.

7. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

I've been using IPB since its inception and I find that as a company they vary from nice and helpful to being completely shitty. I think the underhand stuff they're pulling with their older customers is absolutely disgraceful...but then, I would, being an older customer.

But I've always been very happy with the software. I've never really needed their support, although I've been led to believe that it's very good. I've always found the user modding scene more than adequate for my needs and the people involved in that are usually helpful and friendly.

8. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

I left IPB based purely on their customer service. They're a bunch of fucking scammers, plain and simple. The software is good, but i'll use nulled versions if I want to use IPB for any specific reasons.

I use VB now, and am happy to pay for it.

9. qwop

qwop underground pirate OT Supporter

What happened, sen, if you don't mind me asking? I'm curious as to whether your problems were similar to the experiences I've had.

10. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

Update: I finally got around installing IPB on the site in question.

Wow. All I can say is wow. The backend control panel is amazing and the amount of customization available to you right out of the box is unbelievable.

The only thing that isn't making this the perfect deal right now is the fact that I hate the style of the default theme and have to do alot of editiing - all via css by the way :wiggle: - to get the layout to look good IMO.

I highly recommend you to download the demo board and try it out.:bowdown:

11. Browning

Browning Active Member

:rofl: @chalupa

12. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

:hsugh:

Company got bought out, but most of the development team is intact. Lead dev left, but lead devs leave on projects that span that long of a timespan all the time. He was replaced.

Product is still going strong, and 4.0 is on its way. Anyone getting upset over the changes is an idiot.

13. Insert Tokens

Insert Tokens Making Cancer My Bitch OT Supporter

Where do I start?

Fucked up license keys, and gave to me + 2 others (no idea how you even manage to do that), then said we were all lying and running it illegally.

Support is an absolute joke. Might as well not exist.

Double-charged me on renewal, then refused to admit it even though I had copies from my CC records.

And more.

14. Cthalupa

Cthalupa New Member

On a side note, the changes to vB are actually cheaper in the long run.

Right now, an owned license costs $180, and you get free upgrades for a year. Every year after that, it costs another $60.

vBulletin 3 was released more than 5 years ago, back in early 2004. So you ended up paying $240 more in the $60 renewal costs.

Now, with vBulletin 4, you pay $195, and get free upgrades for the entire 4.x line, and don't have to pay a dime to get any upgrades until vBulletin 5. Even assuming there's no upgrade path - Which there is supposed to be - you're still likely to save $50ish compared to what you paid if you were an adopter from the start at 3.x

For those of us who have been customers since 2.x, or even 1.x... This is some pretty good news.

15. Deviance

Deviance Can't you smell that smell? OT Supporter

I have 8 vb installations. Couldn't pay me to switch to IPB.

16. .Tim

.Tim New Member

vBulletin > *

Fuck the whiny sandy vagina having bitches.

17. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

18. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

Cthalupa,

This is actually pretty ironic. I see your avatar is d3. I'm using IPB 3.0 for a d3 site.

19. HYBR|D

HYBR|D Beep Beeeeee'p

I'm alpha testing 4.0 and i'm :mamoru: at the IPB bandwagon.. :mepoke:

20. .Tim

.Tim New Member

I have no doubts about 4.0 at all. Then again I'm not one of those "OMFG THE SKY IS FALLING" Negative Nancy's you see all over the vbulletin.com boards.

21. EETFUK

EETFUK WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK OT Supporter

IPB Fan here since version 0

22. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

can i get some comments, thoughts, and or screens?:bowdown:

23. copiertalk

copiertalk Secure Our Borders! OT Supporter

It depends on the cost involved.

If it is $50 upgrade or something I see no problem staying with Vbulletin but if it is an absurd amount I will probably start to look around when mne expires.

24. karp2381

karp2381 New Member

And I say again, kind sir...