Inventory Program in Java???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by LIQUID, Apr 28, 2004.

1. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

Hello,

I am working on a project but am limited to the program languages I know :hs:

Would it be possible to write an inventory program using Java? If so how hard do you think it would be? Does anyone know where i could get some examples of some code for it?

2. panzerfaust

panzerfaust New Member

Inventory program in Java @ google?

3. LIQUID

LIQUID #HarambeBless

:confused:

my partner bailed on me :(

please give me some helpful information :hs:

4. XtremelyCanadian

XtremelyCanadian I play hockey.....EH

If you used a database like Oracle and used a browser and some HTML, that could work.

do you want us to write the code for you ???

5. VBGOD

VBGOD Guest

Why kill yourself? Check out PHP or ASP. In this case, check out PHP/MySQL.

6. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

anything is possible, just depends on the requirements, J2EE makes it easy, it would be a pain to do it with JDBC if it is big...

7. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

if u want Java, use Tomcat + JSP/Beans with MySQL Backend.

very simple to do, prolly a week project

8. panzerfaust

panzerfaust New Member

Is this for school?
    Forget the databases. It will take you too long to figure out what to do if you don't have a clue on how to start this. Stick to binary files. File IO has more examples than you would be able to go through in a lifetime, use google.

Focus on four file operations:
    list-all you have to do is read recordsize bytes at a time and pick out the fields
    create-go to the end of the file and append
    delete-mark as deleted (don't really need to delete it here, you can do a compact function later)
    update-scan all the records and make neccessary changes

9. CyberBullets

file IO & parsing is so much more work then connecting and working with a database.

creating a database for something like this would take 30 mins, with normalization (BNC) if they cared enough.

10. panzerfaust

panzerfaust New Member

What parsing? You have fixed-size records or record size flags and voila 0 parsing but that is really besides the point. This is a person who is asking how to do an inventory application (ie application that follows Hello World) so my assumption is that he/she most likely has never seen a database other than Access. Under that assumption 30 minutes is a laughable number.

BTW, love your AV

11. CompiledMonkey

CompiledMonkey New Member

If he knows Java/JSP/etc, he's not killing himself. The solution to his problem is not to learn a new language or set of tools to complete a project which will turn out exactly the same regardless of what he uses.

12. CompiledMonkey

Are you serious? I'd love to see the performance of your file IO based inventory application...

13. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

It would be just fine for a school project, file I/O is not THAT slow. Besides if you want to get smart about it you can always read up on how to store information in files for quick access. That said, I second the php/mysql solution that will cost you $0

14. RaginBajin

RaginBajin Have you punched a donkey today?

You can avoid all the issues with JDBC if it's that cumbersome and use IBATIS.. Takes care of most of your Database connections and what not. All you got to worry about is the XML of your Tables and SQL statements and viola its up and running..

Just a thought.

15. CompiledMonkey

Eh, I believe the purpose of any school project is to get you using technology you'll be asked to use once you get a job. I have a feeling not many companies would recommend you stay away from a database to use text files. Using a database is NOT hard in any way.

16. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

While this may be true, you also have to consider LIQUID's current level of knowledge. Sure, it may show initiative for him to use technology that is perhaps beyond the scope of the course he is currently taking. Then again, the point of taking whatever course he is in may not be to independently research some concept he may learn in a future course, but to demonstrate the knowledge he should be learning in that course. Those of us in the industry may know that databases are better than text files in some instances, but we are basing this on the cumulative knowledge we already possess.

17. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

it is usually the overhead thats the problem... Installing/configuring the server etc... I agree that the DB is by far the easiest/smartest solution.

18. D1G1T4L

D1G1T4L Active Member

interesting discussion

19. panzerfaust

panzerfaust New Member

What schoold did you go to? The purpose of any school project is to strengthen the ideas you learned and put them into practice. Learning new tools/languages is a side effect.

20. CompiledMonkey

I really should have said "to get you doing practical things you'll be asked to do once you get a job". A database is a practical solution when compared with text file storage, esp in this situation. I agree learning languages isn't the purpose of school, which is why I never made that statement previously.

http://www.vcu.edu

21. CyberBullets

Really? So i guess me learning windows 2003 (a tool) is a side effect of.... wait, that was what my CIS 296 (Windows 2003 Administration) was on.

What about my linux class? But i already know how to install/run/maintian a linux box. do my current skills make this class useless for me? no. i still went. why? re-affirm my skills and im sure there is stuff i learnt that i didnt know before... or shortcuts...

but in your eyes my 1st year java course was on java... but a side effect of learning java was learning to install an ide....

i completely disagree. i go to school to learn new (or re-affirm) knowledge/skills/trades/tools/tips. Anything that will make me more valuable in the workforce im pro!

22. panzerfaust

panzerfaust New Member

If you are planning to be an admin or a programmer all your life then learning those skills is what you want. At Berkeley they teach you ideas that can be used to conceptualize new technologies rather than using them.

23. CyberBullets

Yeah thats CS vs MIS/CIS.

CS = creates high tech
    CIS/MIS = uses high tech

it more or less boils down to ones point of view and what you want like you said. myself im CIS, whereas you are CS. big difference.

24. WERUreo

WERUreo Imua!

This "battle" between CS and MIS/CIS seems pretty moot. The guy needs to write a program. That means CS. End of story.

Besides, we don't even know what course this is for. I stick by my assertion that he shouldn't be expected to learn how to use databases or integrate them somehow with Java if that is not what the course is teaching. But until we know why he needs to write this program, maybe we should hold off the database vs flat files debate until we get more details from him.