Intrusion Prevention Systems info needed

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FifthGear, Nov 23, 2004.

1. FifthGear

FifthGear -

im working on a paper for my network security class and was wondering if anyone had some more info on how they work. i have googled the hell out of it and have some good info, but i wanted to see if anyone had somemore that i might not have found

2. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Intrusion Prevention is such a broad topic it's probably impossible to cover all aspects of security. You could do a bit of research on intrusion detection systems, such as Snort, packet analyzers, and maybe some counter attacks such as tar pits. Explain how an IDS system would assist your network in assisting administrators in methods of notification if there is a possible attacker on the network. Or packet analyzers and explain how deciphering packets could assist you in determining which data should NOT be going across a certain network. Or explain how tar-pit counterattacks can "trap" an attacker inside of your network to allow an administrator time to obtain information about them and ensue the law if necessary.

Topic is so broad. :dunno: Research some tools, methods, infrastructures and exploits. :dunno:

3. FifthGear

FifthGear -

its only a 3-5 page paper so it doesnt have to be too indepth...