MMA Introducing people to MMA

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by whup, Apr 3, 2007.

1. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

I went to a gaming lan last week, and while people played F.E.A.R. Combat I was sitting there watching the UFC Knockouts / Greatest Hits Vol 1-3. My friend had them, and until then I didn't really know he watched mma, but I was introducing him to Pride also.

Lots of people kept getting up and coming over to watch when they heard us talking, for example Yoshida v Crocop in the Open Weight Grand Prix, I said "oh man this guy makes mince meat of this dude's leg" and everyone gets up to watch. They were probably hoping for a leg break or something brutal though!

The best was when Fedor v Zuluzinho (lol) came on. I said to my friend, "this guy is generally acknowledged as the best fighter in the world, and maybe the best ever" so everyone gathers around. Noone believes seeing Fedor staring down Zulu is the best fighter. But they soon change their minds when he starts throwing his bombs, and in particular the slo-mo replay of the knockout punch, where you can see the power travelling through his arm to Zulu's face.

Anyway, introducing someone to mma can be hard because of people's misconceptions, a lot of which are because of the poor way the early UFCs were implemented and promoted.

So, What fight or fights would you show someone who was newbie to the mma game?

PS it's funny how it's still semi-underground. At least in NZ! I only just found out a while ago a friend I'd known for a years was a huge fan as well; we talk UFC and Pride all the time and keep each other up to date. I even managed to talk him out of putting his life savings on Sylvia to beat Couture!

PPS I'm sure this is a repost but I can't do a search and I'm interested in your opinions :hsd:

2. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Crocop vs Fedor

Little Nog Vs Shogun

Any of Diaz's fights

Rampage versus Liddell

Rampage versus Silva II

3. Lester206

Lester206 inc

Karo vs Diego