GUN Interviewing for a CLEO signoff????

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AustinL911, Jul 30, 2009.

1. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Alright, so as some of you might know, I've been working on getting a Tromix S12 for well over a year now. The gun's built, at my FFL, all paid for, and all I'm left waiting for is a CLEO sign-off and the ATF's typical BS wait. I had mentioned going the trust route to my FFL and he said not to do that, since apparently going the individual route is 'better', and that I'd 'have no problem with the local sheriff signing off'. So, 3+ months ago, I finished my paperwork, and dropped it off to the county sheriff's office for him to sign. Great. Here's my #, call me when it's done.

So I waited...

and waited...

and waited...

After about a month, I started calling in. I kept getting the, "Oh, he's not in right now. Let me take your # and I'll call you back tomorrow." Well, I never got a call back. I tried this atleast 5x.

So, a few weeks ago, I stopped in. I asked,

"Is he in?"

"No. He just left for a doctor's appt."

"Greeeeeat. So tell me, what's taking him so damn long to sign his name?"

"Well, I can't speak for him, but I think it's because he doesn't really know you."

"He doesn't have to know me."

"Well, he wants to make sure you're ok to own in."

"So tell him to hop on his computer and pull my record. I'm legit."

"Well, I'm not sure."

"Do I need to make an appt. to talk with him?"

"I'm sorry, we can't do that."

"Jesus Christ."

"Well, Let me take your number and I'll call you back."

":squint:"

Amazingly, today I get a call. "This is the Pickaway Cty sheriff's dept. Are you available tomorrow to meet w/ the sheriff?"

"YES!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------

So, that's where I'm at right now in this whole bullshit process. I get the distinct feeling that I'm getting dicked around. It seems to me, that the sheriff isn't doing his fucking job like he's paid to do, and is throwing his opinion into the mix.

I honestly don't know what's so God damn difficult.

Do you, Sheriff, know of any reason that AustinL911 should not own this NFA weapon?

No?

Then sign your fucking name!
    :mad:

Does this sound like BS to anyone else?

2. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

make a fucking trust

fuck your sheriff

3. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (megingjörd: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D062; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

and put a big smiley face on the copy you mail to the CLEO. Bitch sheriffs love smilies.

4. AustinL911

Pros and Cons of both?

5. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Pros :

You get to post on the Internet without me thinking you're a bitch

Cons :

If you move you might need to transfer it again

6. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

So... the background check performed by the ATF (or do they have the FBI do it?) isnt good enough?
    Apparently your sheriff is some amazing savant and can tell how evil you are by just looking at you.

:rolleyes:

7. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Trust

Pro's No fingerprinting, no photos, no waiting for Sheriff to sign

Con's None

Non-trust

Pro's None

Con's I think you already know

8. AustinL911

We'll see how it goes tomorrow before going the trust route.

Is he legally allowed to turn me away if I'm perfectly within my rights (?) to own it?

9. Thunderbear

What I read some time ago mentioned sending a copy as a courtesy to CLEO offices. Maybe just a local thing.

10. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

In for outcome.

11. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

On the interview be like since I cant support my second amendment right with Ive just decided to use a trust. And walk out

12. dpixel8

dpixel8 New Member

dot. fuck that nonesense. I walked into our CLEO's office and she signed it on the spot without even looking up any records. Had my finger prints done and all that shit. Who cares. The BATF has all your info anyways, for all the tinfoil hat crew.

13. Jurisbot Esq.

Jurisbot Esq. Don't blame me I voted for Ron Paul. OT Supporter

Have you donated to his re-election campaign yet? That might be your problem.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  14. AustinL911

I actually voted for the other guy last November. :o This old coot has been sheriff for 30+ years now. He's like 85 years old.

15. Thunderbear

Well, shit, dude, he really is in the bathroom, trying to pee. He's been trying for the last four years.

16. AustinL911

Welp, I had a 1+ hour meeting with him today...

DENIED

:/

I can't really be mad at the old guy. He was pretty cool to chat with. His main concern was that he'd be held responsible should something stupid happen with the gun. He called up his ATF buddy to get his opinion on the subject and was told that an neighboring county's sheriff won't sign them either. I think hearing that made up his mind for him. I tried to explain to him that signing it wouldn't make him responsible, but, he still seemed to think it would.

The worst part is, I think he's losing his damn mind. My FFL told me that this guy has no problem signing them. He (the sheriff) told me that my form was the first one he'd ever seen in his 44+ years as sheriff. I told him I found that hard to believe. He claims that the only forms he ever gets are ones that don't require a signature. So, he runs and grabs a 5" think folder with nothing but firearm-type forms in it. We start looking through it and there's all kinds of C&R apps, FFL renewals (including my FFL who currently has the gun), Denied 4473's, and low and behold....signed Form 4's. Some for SBS's, suppressors, some SBR's, and so on. So I grab one of them to flip it over while asking him who signed them. I flip it over and guess who's name is on it? Mr. 44 years of service, Sheriff. I ask him about it and he kind of beats around the question like he's not sure how his name got on there. I chose not to press the issue. He'd made up his mind and I wasn't about to piss him off by badgering him to sign it. Again, I think he's just lost his mind in his old age and has forgotten that he's done this numerous times before.

We chatted for a while longer. I told him who my family was (fairly well known in the area), told him that my great grandfather used to be the sheriff of the county to the south of ours. He informed me that my great grandfather (who's long since dead) used to be a deputy under him. He then showed me and old picture of my G.grandfather from back in the day. It was kind of neat really.

He then started talking about some big illegal cache of machine guns they had aquired back in the 70's from some guy who died that had them stashed in his basement. So, in keeping up with the BS, he pulled out another folder that had all the paperwork for those things. Sten guns, grease guns, MP-44's, a .410 H&R handi gun, and a bunch of others. He got to talking about all the hoops they had to jump through with the ATF to be able to keep those, which he informed me, were still down in the armory.

He also showed me the paperwork for the original 1932 Thompson machine guns (paperwork said, "made by Colt Patent Co.) they still had in the armory. I guess back in the 30's when bank robberys were a big thing, the county bought them one, and the banks pitched together to buy them another one, as well as one for the local PD. Again, neat stuff.

Overall, I'm a bit disappointed that he wouldn't sign it, but, it's not the end of the world. He gave me the names of some other local CLEOs that might sign it, and I mentioned to him that if they wouldn't, I'd be going the trust route, and would get it anyway. He told me that when I did, to bring it by because he's never heard of one, and would like to see it. He was a cool old guy. Crazy, but cool.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Opinions vary :big grin:

18. AustinL911

So.......who can walk me through the trust process?

19. AustinL911

.........my computer sucks.......

20. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

Do the trust.

Then send him a vid of you shooting. Stupid old bastard.

21. AustinL911

That's where I'm heading next. Either him, or a local judge who I know fairly well.

22. Finest

Finest OG #93

Shoot old fart.

Wait for newly appointed CLEO.

Get him to sign your shit.

???

PROFIT!

(of course I'm kidding about the shooting part)

23. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

Download Quicken Willmaker, Name Your trust, name yourself as grantor, name your trustee(s), if you're doing it for a can put whatever you want in schedule A..........I put xbox 360, sign it in front of a notary, fill out form 1/4, send $$ to ATF, wait 3 months, get can, add to schedule A......done

24. thegooch

thegooch OT Supporter

I plan on adding it after I receive it, not before. Hence why I put Xbox 360. I had my dealer look over mine, he said it should be added after the stamp is approved and the can is in mine/my trusts possession.

25. Painkiller

Painkiller The Synarchy of Molten Bones

Man I'm glad that I never had any problems getting my stuff signed off. I live in a big city too. :o