MMA Interview with Nick Diaz and Marius "Head Kick" Zaromskis

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by cswfighter, Jan 22, 2010.

1. cswfighter

cswfighter New Member

(They have lot's of typo's in this interview :rofl:)

Nick Diaz and Marius ‘Whitemare’ Zaromskis meet at Strikeforce: Florida on the 30th of this month to contest the organisation’s welterweight title. Below are some highlight’s from the press conference that was held this week to build the event.

What’s it like dropping back down to 170?

NICK DIAZ: “I’m very happy to fight at that weight. I look the best at that weight. I like it, I feel the best at that weight. I’ve been waiting for a long time to fight in here at this weight class. Those last two fights weren’t my idea. I’ve fought at welterweight most of my life, so this isn’t a new thing to me. I’m happy to fight at welterweight.”

Jay Hieron thinks you’re trying to duck him. Do you have a response to that?

DIAZ: “Ditto. I’m just fighting who they want me to fight. Whatever. That’s how it is. I’m just fighting who they want me to fight. I try not to open my mouth.

Do you anticipate that matchup happening at some point?

DIAZ: “I’m ready to fight anybody. If they can make it, then let’s do it. I’m ready to fight Jay Hieron and everybody in this weight class to get to the top. Whatever, I’ll do it.”

Nick and Marius, can you both assess your opponent’s strengths and weakness?

DIAZ: “I think he’s a good fighter, whatever. Anybody who is willing to fight at this level is a good fighter.”

ZAROMSKIS: “I think Nick is a very well rounded fighter. He has strengths in both boxing and grappling, just all around. I think it’s going to be a very tough fight for me. As far as how the fight will go or what I’ll be able to do, I don’t want to predict that. We’ll just have to see it in the ring.”

Nick, after the problems that arose on the STRIKEFORCE: Carano vs. Cyborg card, would you ever consider fighting in California again?

DIAZ: “I didn’t know there were any problems. I’ll fight wherever.”

Marius, despite being the DREAM Champion, Jay Hieron turned down a fight with you because he said you have little name recognition. Do you feel vindicated that STRIKEFORCE offered you a title shot?

ZAROMSKIS: “I don’t really care if I’m vindicated or not, because I don’t pay attention to that. I feel that a fighter should fight whoever they put in front of you, whether he’s famous or not. If Jay Hieron doesn’t feel that I’m famous enough to fight him, then I guess he’ll just have to wait until I get famous and I’ll fight him.”

Marius, is there a timeframe on when you’ll return and defend your DREAM title?

ZAROMSKIS: “No, right now I don’t know.”

Marius, A lot of people feel like you jumped ahead of the line for a title shot against Nick Diaz. What are your thoughts on that?

MARIUS ZAROMSKIS: “Well, I don’t really think much of it. They told me to fight, so I’m fighting.”

Marius, can you talk about your finishes in your last few fights (KO head kicks)? Is that something you go for?

ZAROMSKIS: “I don’t really look for a high kick, because when you look for something you end up being the one who’s getting knocked out. If I see it there in a split second I’ll take advantage of it. If it’s not there then I’ll use some other weapons. But, I do not look for a high kick.”

Why are your high kicks so effective?

ZAROMSKIS: “I kick (inaudible) a lot with my legs, so I’ve got power in it.”

Did you look up to Mirko Cro Cop at all? Or is your style completely independent?

ZAROMSKIS: “I was doing high kicks before. I’m not trying to imitate Mirko, I’m not inspired by Mirko. But, Mirko has a very devastating high kick, so if there’s something I could learn from him I definitely wouldn’t mind.”

Are you always constantly looking to do different things?

ZAROMSKIS: “It’s not something I look for, I just kind of do it. In a way, it kind of energizes me. I just do it for myself, but I guess fans find it interesting. I’m not doing it to be entertaining in a fight, I just do it to energize myself.”

Nick, do you get sucked into the challenge of trying to beat people at their own game?

DIAZ: “No, I just do it all, you know. I try to take the easiest direction. A lot of times, it’s easier to beat (inaudible) than it has been in the past. I’ll just do whatever it takes.”

Marius, what do you plan on doing to minimize the reach that Nick has with his punches?

ZAROMSKIS: “As far as Nick’s reach, Nick obviously has a reach advantage because he’s taller. But, I don’t feel like the height difference is so drastic between the two of us to really worry about it too much. Of course, I’m concerned about the reach and I have some plans to address that. It’s not like I’m 5 foot 6 and he’s 6 foot 9. I think it’s something I can handle.”

Nick, is there any different preparation for you going into a championship fight?

DIAZ: “I do extra pushups and I run extra miles. I kick the heavy bag a lot, a lot. I just do the best I can. I learn more and more as I go. I’ve been doing this for a long time, I’ve got the same partners, so we’re always working on new things together. I’m just getting good help by Jake Shields and Gilbert Melendez and my brother, everybody training for this fight.”

Marius, have you been working on anything specifically on the ground because Nick has a big advantage in that department.

ZAROMSKIS: “I’ve prepared as well as I can on the ground because Nick has a superior ground game. But, this is MMA, this is not kickboxing. I train in all of it. I train in grappling, the fighting, the wrestling, the same for all fighters. I pretty much do everything my trainers tell me to do. If they say do more ground, I do more ground. If they say do more standup, I do more standup.”

2. cswfighter

cswfighter New Member

Unless Zaromskis ends up in a bad position on the ground I think he will take this fight, especially because Diaz will try to stand up with him. Even then I think MZ is skilled enough to avoid most of his submissions.

3. Gogoplata

Gogoplata Guest

Doesn't matter WHO Diaz fights - he's the underdog.

He always wins. This won't be an exception. The awful Zaromskis bandwagon will be derailed in quick fashion.

4. GreatDeceiver

GreatDeceiver OT Supporter

wow that was a bland interview. Neither guy was taking the bait and just saying 'na I just fight whoever...'

I'd like to see Zaromskis get the W but I agree with Drag On, Diaz will probaby take it.

5. Mejnoon

Mejnoon Active Member

:werd:

6. Kenny Dalglish

Kenny Dalglish New Member

in for this.. DIAZ <3

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

diaz as an underdog is a sure bet. Diaz as the favorite, coin toss.

8. dguy

dguy She smells like angels ought to smell.

Goddamn, I wish more interviews were like this. I'd like to get rid of the WWF crap that tends to go on.