MMA Interview w/ Nate Quarry on purses and sponsorship

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by metallikatz56, Oct 29, 2005.

1. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

KM: You were talking about how much the three fights in UFC in one year helped financially.
    NQ: I don't think people really understand how low our payscale is. No-one that is fighting currently got into fighting to be rich and famous; we all got in for the love of the sport. I fought for five years with a full-time job. I've been training for nine years and quit my job three and a half years ago so I could pursue my dream of just fighting. Just to make ends meet bare bones $30,000 a year I had to fight that often. That is what a lot of people don't understand about the sponsors and how much it has hurt us to not be able to give the shoutouts, first on Spike and now in UFC. I usually stay away from the forums, occasionally I'll check in to see how things are going or what happened in the show and I saw a couple threads where the fans are really happy now the fighters weren't giving shoutouts to Rich's Tire Barn and Sprawl Shorts. All I could think to myself was ‘how ungrateful could you possibly be?' You have people like myself that are training twice a day week after week to provide you with what is now free entertainment on Spike and you can't give us thirty seconds of your time, will sit and watch the same commercials for a BK "double"...will sit and listen to that but when a fighter needs to double his purse or perhaps triple it or make an extra $1000 on top of what his entry-level purse is into the UFC $2000.
    KM: That is half the income cut away.
    NQ: You won your fight, you have made $4,000 and now the fans are saying ‘we don't have thirty seconds to spare so this guy can make an extra $5,000 and train full-time to give us better fights in the future. You said I was busy because I fought three times, this will be my fourth time in one year. The people on TUF reality show got $5,000 to fight; $5,000 to show/$5,000 to win. If I stay on that same contract that is $40,000 if I win all four fights. Take away 20% for management and training fees, another third for taxes, and I don't know about you but I need a place to live and occasionally like to eat….at the end of the day you are broke. It has just been this year I've been able to upgrade due to those four fights and the ability to get sponsors I finally was able to sell my seventeen year old Toyota

2. metallikatz56

metallikatz56 New Member

I see the point of not allowing sponsor shoutouts on SpikeTV broadcasts (unpaid-for promotion on national TV), but these guys should be able to earn a couple extra grand on top of their puny purses for PPVs by crediting the companies who give them enough financial support to train full time.

Zuffa sucks.

3. FlyingNun

FlyingNun Active Member

i don't like the sponsorship shoutouts in the UFC...UFC needs to take those out and just pay their fighters better

4. Sammo

Sammo New Member

Yeah, it's getting pretty ridiculuous.

5. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

if there was a size 11ty billion dot this would be it

6. misfits

misfits OT Supporter

UFC is barely hanging by with their low salaries, if you see the salaries compared to UFC to Pride, it's just ridiculous how these guys are getting by.

7. damiand

damiand Proceed

\

I agree 100%, but it also makes me curious to see how much UFC makes a show?