MMA Interview Questions on MMA!!!!???

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Slacker707, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Slacker707

Slacker707 i do not want to be a product of my environment. r OT Supporter

Interview Questions on MMA!? PLEASE HELP LAST NIGHT!!!

Hey guys i've been a lurker in the cage since I joined and was just wondering if you guys could answer a few questions for me. I have to do a field research project and the field I would like to research is MMA, whether it be BJJ, Muay Thai, Akido, Judo, anything really. And I need people to interview that is currently a part of this subculture...I was wondering if anyone would like to participate and maybe just discuss what it is you do as a part of the subculture. For example diet, exercise routine, what you have given up for this, ect. If If you would be willing to answer some questions for me just let me know and I will add them in this thread later, probably tomorrow. As the questions get answered, if they get answered, I will probably ask more as I learn more. Hopefully this isnt a bother and hopefully I get some truthful responses. I was thinking mainly of focusing on Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, but if there is not enough people who do that on hear that would be willing to reply any other martial arts would be great. Just let me know what it is you train in.

Edit: New questions!!
    Who is a typical member, any certain characteristic type?
    What is the naural setting for your sport?
    How often do you guys train? How long?
    What are some specialized vocab that you use while training?
    And are there any stories that you guys have that involve your training...something that happened on the streets or in some store..something like that?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2006
  2. RunninWild

RunninWild How subtle of you

Never a bother. I guess I might aswell participate.
    I started training in Shaolin Kug Fu to get my body in great shape (real Shaolin Kung Fu from a 32nd generation temple master). It really taught me how to use my body to it's potential and how to "Wake up" some of the things about myself I'd normally forget (example- Lots of strengthening with muscles that don't get it from basic body and weight training, balance, learning to be explosive with your reflexes). I took up Kickboxing from the same instructor and combined the two. My kicks have become very fast and pretty devastating. I think for somebody training in MMA one of the most important aspects of your body is your cardio. It doesn't even matter if you fight or not. You have to have stamina or your practices and training will be anchored by your INabilities. It would be like a car with great wheels, tires and suspension but a weak engine. A lot of things have been cut from my diet and ultimately made me way healthier and happier because of it. I stopped drinking soda completely, riding a bike on trials with my son, running with my dog (It improved his life), my girlfriend picked up on these habbits aswell. I rarely drink with friends and if I do its very little. Just enough to loosen up. My meals have consisted of mainly food that my body will use, no salts, small amounts of sugar and if youre full you've probably eaten two times two much of what you should have. It seems easy for most people to make changes like that but giving up these many simple thingscan be very difficult. It seems this society today doesn't promote healthy habbits or dieting.

- Its late so sorry about some of the offtrack stuff

3. teep

teep New Member

I started off wrestling in high school and after 4 years of that I got in to bjj and muay thai. Lately, I've been going to a (western) boxing gym because my muay thai gym is too far. As far as bjj goes I only train no gi.

4. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

I trianed and competed in Tea Kwon Do for fourteen years. Stopped training for about three years in college. I took up bodybuliding during that time. About a year ago I started training BJJ. I had to really cut back on the bodybulding do to the cardio requirements of BJJ and the time constraints of school/work/trainging/lifting/girlfriend. Recently the girl fell out of the picture and I've had more time, so I've taken the BJJ into an MMA focus. I'm moving in with my training partner and gonna see how far we can go in the sport. I've definately had a priority shift and a social shift. I rarely see my old friends as I don't drink alot and they do. It was really pretty lonely for a while, but now that I'm training more some of the guys at the gym are becoming my new friends and once I move in with my training partner things should get easier.

I know how rough school can be, so I hope this helps.

5. snigg

snigg New Member

i do bjj, gi and nogi. ill be glad to answer any questions you have.

6. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

ive done bjj for 3 months nogi :hs:

7. Slacker707

Thanks again for the responses..I have a few more questions to post up so if you feel like answering I would much appreciate it..Ive also broadened my catagory from just one single discipline to just MMA in general. So if you train in anything responses would be wonderful..
    And are there any stories that you guys have that involve your training...something that happened on the streets or in some store..something like that?

8. KingJeff

KingJeff New Member

-No particular type. We have all people. Lawyers, cops, students, etc.
    -Friendly but competitive setting.
    -bjj 3 years. First 2 years i went about 3x per week for 1.5 hours. The past year only once every 2 weeks, lol.
    -no
    -nope.

9. Slacker707

:bowdown: :bowdown: thank you very much i appreciate your participation!!

10. Slacker707

How does your practice normally go? Any running around to warm up? Any stretching, certain drills, what specifically do you do when you first get there until you leave?

11. Slacker707

How do you think society views MMA?

12. Slacker707

13. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Myself did TKD for a few years Blue Belt red tip.
    Did boxing for a few years mainly conditioning for other sports. (Rugby and Basketball) had 2 amat fights 2-0 record.
    Worked security (bouncing) for 2 years whilst at university
    Been training MMA for 18months been pretty slack actually as its hard training around shift work plan to fight next easter.

Mainly 18-35 men all sorts of backgrounds

Very supportive quite a lack of ego yet quite competitive.

Its a full time gym with classes everynight most classes are 1.5 hours

Mainly BBJ and MT terms I guess we also have our own sayings also.

I have some boring bouncer stories but nothing in the last 5 years. I see MMA as a sport not a weapon to use to beat people up.

14. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

The main principle behind martial arts is just that: its an art, not a weapon. You use it when you must. That being said, I've had to defend myself on a few rare occasions, spanning years between occurrences. Last time I got in a "fight" was over two years ago. My friend and I were jumped by three guys. Wrong two people to jump ;). We came out reltively unscathed, but I broke my glasses.

As far as practice: warm up, drills, roll/spar depending on if its thai/box/BJJ that day/time, conditioning, although coach leaves the majority of our conditioning up to us.

Society, imo, views MMA with disdain. My own mom always tells me its "dirty" fighting and that boxing, "like your grampa used to do", is the only real form of fighting. With shows like TUF and the UFC, its getting a bigger audience and will gain more acceptance, but by nature will remain more of an underground sport.

15. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

since you opened it up to everybody, not just bjj... :o

Shaolin Kempo

-all types, from people who are just in it for physical fitness, to people who are in it for self defence, to people who use it in their jobs like police officers, to people who treat it as a lifestyle.

-the dojo

-i normally spend 20 hours a week at the dojo, sometimes a couple more, sometimes a couple less, 4 days a week. but that isnt the limit to my training, when im at home, surfing OT with the tv on in the background ill get up and practice moveing and strikeing, a pinion or kata, a move that i just learned, and just practice, lock it into muscle memory. for normal people who arnt as hardcore/obsessed we have group classes three times a week as well as a private lesson.

-nothing i could think of that would be much diffrent than any other martial art or dojo.

-personally none, but ive heard some wild ones.

How does your practice normally go?
    -weeknight class:
    line up, bow to sensi, bow to the flag, bow to the class, kneel down and meditate. personally i relax my body, clear my mind, focus myself.

then up and a warmup, usually jumping jacks, pushups, crunches, squats. throw in some other stuff depending on if its just a quick warmup or something to push people more. after that some stretching, usually pretty quick (most people stretch out anything bothering them before class) but sometimes we focus on a particular muscle group or do isometric stretching.

then we get into the meat of the lesson. sometimes sensi will have it all planned out, something particular he wants to teach or instruct, other times he will ask what we want to focus on. either way, we will usually focus on one thing for awhile, kicks, punches, weapon defences, DMs, kempos, footwork, handspeed drills, that sort of thing.

twards the end, we will either tie what we were doing togeather with something new, or switch it up and go a totally new direction. alot of times, we do something really physical like grab defences, takedowns, grappling, sparring drills.

the end is the same as the beginning, line up, bow to sensi, bow to the flag, bow to the class, kneel down and meditate and done.

Any running around to warm up?
    -very rarely. the kids classes we do more running and warmup in general for them though.

How do you think society views MMA?
    -its getting more mainstream, or at least acceptable. its nearing the realm of boxing as being a professional sport.

16. Shrug

Shrug Die in a Kimbo fight

:werd: if you want the ultimate self defense, get a concealed weapons permit :p