Internet Stalker on AIM

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by abacadaba11, May 3, 2005.

1. abacadaba11

abacadaba11 New Member

[font=verdana, arial, helvetica]Originally posted by DCT
    A fellow classmate of mine is being stalked online. It is clearly someone who knows her activities within the last 4 months or so, all confined to one city in North Carolina.

She is really freaked out, since this person knows some very intricate details of late. They even know what's going on with some of the people she knows.

What kind of options does she have? This person is making lewd comments, nothing criminal, but he or she is definitely trying to intimidate her.

This same person just harassed her good friend too.

Your help is appreciated!
    [/font]

2. zabuni

zabuni New Member

You will probably have to go AOL to get anything done. They are the ones with the guy's IP address. Get some logs of the conversations, and see if you can contact them. They might not help much though, so you may have to do one of several things.

If it's harassment, try calling the cops. A call from a local police department will make them sing. It's a bit of a nuclear option though.

If you don't want to increase the level of things to that extent, you can always try to rely on their stupidity. If they aren't tech savy, try and get them to send you a file over direct connection. When they do, get their IP address. You can then contact their ISP, who will at the very least send them a stern letter.

Then again, if the person is really covering their ass, they could have a laptop, and be in a cafe that has WiFi, and then you're screwed.

(Not an expert on this or anything, but those are just suggestions. It would be what I would do.)

3. Monstrddg

Monstrddg New Member

abacadaba11: stop stalking her!

4. MrMan

MrMan New Member

She should change her account and let people one at a time know her new screenname. Then if that same person found her new SN, then it's obviously somebody close to her. Also, does she leave personal information online, such as online blogs, xanga, friendster, etc... People leave more information than they actually believe. Perhaps this person is not only reading her blogs, but her friends as well. And then he puts the pieces together to see who did what, and what happened that day.

Another option is to change her AIM settings to "Allow people only on my buddy list to contact me", then she would never receive his IMs.

If she feels personally threaten (not just online), then get law enforcement involved, as they would have all the resources to find out who is doing this. I would actually recommend getting law enforcement involved, as she may not fully understand the extent of the situation, and so she should stay on the safe side.

5. Killgunner

Killgunner OT Supporter

Is this the No fucking AV thread or what... N00BS UNITE!

6. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

i'm a noob and i have an AV. i second the new screen name idea.

7. abacadaba11

abacadaba11 New Member

what?

aaaanyway, problem solved. The dude turned out to be an old boyfriend of hers. His ISP is going to nail him. Thanks fellas.

8. abacadaba11

abacadaba11 New Member

Great, let me try to find some witty, useless picture to put under my name.

9. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

That's fucking right, maggot.