Internet Sharing :HELP:

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by thezak, Jan 16, 2006.

1. thezak

thezak New Member

Hello,
    I would like to set up internet sharing in my dorm room. Basically i use my pc to connect to the interent via cat5, and i have a wireless card that i would like to use to send out a secure signal. I know this is possible with a MAC, because i have done it, but since my pc will always be there, having the sharing on my pc would be much more efficient. any help would be :bigthumb:!
    Thanks. Zak.

2. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

save yourself the headache, buy a wireless router.

3. thezak

thezak New Member

we have to have an account and password to log on, which can only be done through a computer.

4. samm

samm Next in Line

Then you should talk to your school's IT department. They probably want to register the MAC address of your computer under your school's user-ID so they can contact you if they find you sharing any illegal content through a peer-to-peer network.

To setup a router in this case you should clone the MAC address of your pc to the router.

5. thezak

thezak New Member

i'll give it a shot...is there any way to make sure they don't know that i have a router? we aren't really supposed to have them.

6. thezak

thezak New Member

does anyone know if the whole sharing a connection from a cat5 to a wireless card is even possible?

7. thezak

thezak New Member

hmm...i seem to be having some trouble with this. when i go to my wireless card properties, i see two tabs - general and advanced. i have a feeling there should be a third tab...or maybe i need to look harder.

thanks for any and all help!

8. thezak

thezak New Member

helpers?

9. thezak

thezak New Member

i think my wireless card is out of date, because it doesn't support ad hoc. i opted to use firewire to share my internet connection with my laptop. i also my try bluetooth today. thanks for all the help.

10. thezak

thezak New Member

ok i went out and bought a usb linksys wireless g card and i can now choose it for ad hoc. i can connect with my laptop but the interent is not sharing. i have "share this connection" selected on my local area connection but it is still not sharing the internet.

any ideas?

11. thezak

thezak New Member

well linksys support was no help. they said i need to contact my ISP even though i can get online with firewire ICS. sigh...i'm dying here.