Internet "relationships" and RL significant others

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Yukonart, Sep 3, 2005.

1. Yukonart

Yukonart Active Member

My GF and I have been together for about 2.5 years, and living together now for nearly a year. Things have been great, we're very much in love with each other, and as far as I know, have had great communication in our relationship.

Now she, being a girl who's really into cars and active on a few automotive forums, gets a fair amount of attention from guys. This doesn't bother me, as I know it's just life with a desireable woman. However, at some point I think one of the guys really got the wrong idea in his head, and I'm not quite sure how to handle this situation.

I trust my GF, and I want to keep things that way. But at the same time, I've been trying to impress upon her that things getting carried away online can have some pretty damagine effects on what's normally a healthy relationship. Hell, at this point there's already been damage done, I just don't know if she understands that.

The guy in question is a mutual "friend" on one of the automotive boards. This is what's even more frustrating. I know he's blatantly disrespecting me by flirting with my GF online, and I get the impression this does not bother him. That, and he's never once wanted to talk to me, as a friend. This disgusts me to end.

Now, I'm sure one would ask "But Art, maybe she's just not getting enough from you." Well, if this is the case (and I seriously doubt that it is) then she's certainly not talking about it to me. I'm fairly certain this is all fairly playful in her eyes, but I doubt that's what this mutual friend wants in the end.

Just looking for some input, perhaps from anyone who's gone through this in the past. All I know right now is, I'm a guy and I know how other guys think. This is the very reason I know he'll want to escalate things if she lets him.

2. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Wow,are you sure you're not my husband??
    I post on a couple of car forums too, same situation with me being female. I can ignore the flirting and leg humping though, how does she react to it? If she encourages his flirting, then you might have a problem. If she can ignore it and still talk about other things (like cars.. the reason she might be on that website to begin with ;) ) or if he knows about you and that she's happy with you, I don't see the problem?
    Sit down and have a serious talk with her. Posting on here isn't going to do anything besides help vent your frustrations,it isn't going to help your relationship.
    Good luck!

(edited to take out the quote)

edit again. All I'm saying is that if she is being respectful of you and your relationship, there shouldn't be a problem right?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2005
  3. tehexile

tehexile New Member

It Fucks People Up

4. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

care to elaborate a little more?

5. tehexile

tehexile New Member

well, i was in a relationship with a girl, who broke up with a guy that she was having an internet relationship with... then when she found out he was coming to live in the US, near her, she decided she didnt need me anymore, and completly threw me away... didnt even tell me! just stopped talking to me... really really shitty :(

6. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Unless I'm reading wrong.. this woman doesn't exactly have a 'relationship' with this man, but is just talking to him?

7. tehexile

tehexile New Member

yes, well, im my case, they were "just talking" once in a while...