Internet question in regards to traveling

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Noparking, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Noparking

Noparking Platinum Member OT Supporter

No idea if this even exist, but my dad is going on a trip and wanted to know if there is any "world wide" internet service provider? Are there any options out there that would let him connect while out at ocean as well? Maybe via satellite? Any information would be greatly appreciated b/c I have no clue about anything in this area.

2. 7960

7960 New Member

as far as plugging in for internet, that's (almost) universal....I've been all over the world and have never had a problem with wired internet. it's possible he could have a problem, but not very likely.

there is wireless in other countries just like there is in the US, but the card/computer your father is using may or may not be at the same standards as the places he visits. he may have to load new drivers, or even go so far as to get another wireless card.

also, he can get internet while at sea, but it's usually fairly expensive.

3. Noparking

thanks for the help

4. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

That's interesting.

There are differences in 802.11 standards in different parts of the world?

5. 7960

7960 New Member

i typed that up quick...........the more I thought about it, the more I realized the main differences are that not all countries use the same number of channels, and power at the access point is more or less restricted. neither of those should affect wireless access.

6. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Yes it is true though. You've reminded me how the US has more channels than here in the UK IIRC.

7. djgperu

djgperu New Member

i think the original poster's question is more related to like a worldwide mobile broadband service.
    satellite internet is an option but could be quite expensive and troublesome

if he is traveling to other continents regularly.. they have Free wireless internet at airports and hotels all over the world too..

8. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Right, my first thought was that he would be using (for example) a Verizon Wireless card for mobile broadband.

9. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You said "out at sea". Is he going on a cruise ship? If so, they provide internet access for you.

10. Noparking

Yeah, but we're not talking about 2500 person ship more along the lines of 50, so I'm not sure about amenities aboard. The reason I'm asking is b/c he's had some heath problems and if he has a incident with his pacemaker he needs to be able to send the info from the pacemaker via the internet to the his doctor here to see what's going on. As far as the price of being able to have satellite internet how much are we talking?

11. 7960

7960 New Member

you really should be asking the ship/cruise/whatever if they have internet access before you go investigating this stuff. one phone call to them should answer your questions.