A&P Internet Photography and "the pros".

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Devin, Apr 27, 2007.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

While roaming the forums of the internet. I've came to the fact that everyone is a "professional" and everyone has their own two cents on a subject or picture.

Here is what I do not understand. When a typical weekend warrior photographer sets out to shoot a car. He comes back home and edits his photos for a couple minutes with photoshop. Gets the "ho-hum" results and throws them up on the internet. The replies are normally 95% positive feedback.

Now when the "everyday photographer" goes out and shoots. Spends countless hours on editing photos and post his work on the internet. Everyone seems to be a "professional". Even the guy that spent 5 mins editing 30 shots joins in with his 2 cents. I'm curious If I'm the only person that notices this or not ? Just kind of came to me after jumping from forum to forum. They seem to always say "looks great" for the normal weekend warrior. But, for the guy who tries there's always "needs more dof", "too much angel", and " not enough light" . I'm just gumming off at the lips here so pay not attention to me. I'm just curious If im the only person who notices this.

/ Pissing and moaning vagina

2. .chris

.chris You drown before the water lets you in. OT Supporter

criticism is a good thing

3. 1.8

1.8 Guest

I think it has to do with the audience that the pic is being given to. I've impressed people on car forums with pics of my cars (which are relatively shitty pics).

Plus there's the issue of the critics taking the pic seriously in the first place...

:dunno:

4. I think if someone has time to shoot and go home to upload/edit/ and post pics on the internet all in the same day they have too much free time and they're probably not shooting too much. I still have stuff from 2 weeks ago that I still have to edit. :o :dunno: Maybe I just take on more work than I can handle :dunno: Oh and I'm not a pro, no business lisence here and 100% of my income is not from my photoz but uwithin the next few years I might be quitting my job if things keep going the way they are, and I get all the lenses and gear that I am after.

5. Devin

Devin New Member

That's also good thinking. I didn't mean this is anyway directed to anyone on this forum. This forum is the 1 of the few "true" crits" you will get. I'm just speaking of others.

If you suck on here you damn well will know it very soon : D

edit : I really need a fucking avatar. I look out of place with you guys : (

6. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

Seems like there isnt enough criticism on some of the websites, someone posts a pic and everyone just compliments it...at least people here tell the brutal truth :hs: I respect that

7. not when it comes to fashion and people photography, no one here really cares about that stuff.

8. hash browns

hash browns lolcathlon champion OT Supporter

we also point out when you have blatantly stolen someone else's work and try to pass it off as your own

9. troll troll troll your boat

10. Hippy

Hippy New Member

1. There is no such thing as to much "free time".

2. If you cannot shoot and edit a set in a day you are slow. I have shot 6 hour events and had a 7pm deadline for the awards ceromny.

I dunno i take photos everyday and i upload and edit them everynight. Very rarely will i have something go untouched for 2 weeks.

11. :bigthumb: :bowdown:

12. Devin

Devin New Member

Very interesting . This was in no way meant to bring about huge controversy . Just to see If I was th only asshat who saw this . I agree though with almost everyones statements .

13. Hippy

Hippy New Member

yea im not tryin to stir anything up, just tellin my opinion on the matter.

I find the that it is only during my free time that photography fullfills my creative desires. When im shooting for myself i can exporle the world with a much finer comb.

14. 1.8

1.8 Guest

Unfortunately some don't live lives of leisure as you apparently do :hs:. I wouldn't call someone slow if they don't have their pics uploaded the same day... You know there are things like school, work, kids, other hobbies, SO's and numerous other distractions that can get in the way of photography ;).

15. Hippy

Hippy New Member

i wake up every morning, the missions fullfill the dream

16. Traitor

Traitor New Member

I dont think the "pros" post their work on forums anyways :dunno: atleast the good stuff

17. thank you

18. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken New Member

I think it also depends on the way you go about setting up your photos... like if you start a thread saying "I just spent 15 hours editing this pic in photoshop and used my $4,000 camera and lens to take the pics" and the result of the pic is somewhat better than that of a "weekend warrior", you're going to get WAAAAYYYY more shit than some guy who goes out, snaps a few pics of something interesting, spends 5 minutes editing them in Lightroom and makes a thread saying "what do you think of this pic? I'm a noob, but I have fun taking pics"

It's all about perspective.

19. .chris

.chris You drown before the water lets you in. OT Supporter

werd

20. Derrict

Derrict No, I am not Amish OT Supporter

the way I see it, we critique the better photographer's on a different scale since we know they are capable of making their next set of pictures better. not to say the amateur can't, but it would just take them longer to get it right since they're still learning about the basics of photography.

21. brasheye

brasheye Rotary Crew

There are some "secret" so to speak Auto Photography forums out there if you are after true critisim, ie rip you a new asshole with the slightest flaw.

But I agree, the amount of sig's I see these days offering "all your automotive photography needs" is sickening, Im actually doing a Business card design for a graphic designer... go figure :dunno:

Keep your head up, let your images speak for themselves.

22. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

A good photo wont need to do hours of post process.
    Just some minor tweaks and adjustments.

There is a point in post processing when a digital photograph stops being a photo art and becomes digital art.

I typically adjust my levels, colors, sharpness.
    Might clone out a few spots or annoyances.
    Basically I try to make the photograph look "real" as my eyes see it.
    Same as chemical darkroom work.
    It doesn't take a lot of time.

1 minute per photo.

23. I like what you're trying to imply :rolleyes:

Yeah one minute per photo... but times 2500 photos bud, can you see where I'm coming from.... :ugh:

Yeah I could always automate my shit like viper but I like my individually handcrafted products as opposed to walmart brand mass produced automated shit.

24. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

So you are saying you shoot 2500 photos a day?