Internet on laptop VIA cell phone.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by UsualSuspect, Nov 19, 2003.

1. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Sic Semper Tyrannis

I have looked for info on this and have not had much luck. Any ideas on where I could find some good info. Thanks :)

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

You need a cable to go from your notebook to the cell phone. The computer needs to be able to recognize (typically with a driver) the cell phone as a gadget to get Internet from (either as a modem, network device, or some USB gadget).

The fun part is getting signed up for service to do this. I just talked to someone the other day who said if you have Verizon and a particular model of cell/camera phone, all you need is a $16 cable and you're on the 'net (trick being to take/send pics, you need the net connection but they don't charge you for the 'net connection).

notebook + cable + cell phone = physical connection
    +
    cell phone needs to be able to support this and you need the service enabled.

3. pookrat

pookrat OT Supporter

Some phones have built in IR also. If you have one that has built in IR and it includes a modem, you should just be able to line up IR ports and then dial out using the IR modem that will be detected. Have to have a local ISP account and you will be charged air time. I have used that on older phones I had to just to get mail numerous times.

About the cable connection... I now have a Samsung Sprint phone. If you have the Vision service. Just get a cable and the special software you have to have on the PC and your done. I usually get 120-160 KBps connections.

Cellular Modem Cables... http://www.thesupplynet.com/index.cfm

I've tested a lot of different types. I may be able to answer some ???'s... Dunno.

4. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

:werd: I remember when those cables cost over $140.. :eek3:

5. UsualSuspect

UsualSuspect Sic Semper Tyrannis

Thanks for the info!