Internet issue

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MZ2215, Sep 15, 2003.

1. MZ2215

MZ2215 Yep

I have a cable connection (modem->router->my computer/roommates computer), and everything works pretty well, but there are some things that i can't get to work. With Instant Messenger i can't connect to anybody to send or recieve files, my WinMx won't connect, and I cannot connect to users on mIRC to send/recieve files. I think somehow these problems might be connected, because my roommate is having the same problems and before i hooked up this service all of that worked the same. Is there any way the provider (charter) could have disabled being able to use any of that stuff?

2. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Sounds like a router configuration issue. Seems like you have blocked certain ports.

Do you have a software firewall?

3. MZ2215

MZ2215 Yep

no firewall, tried taking the router out of the application and just went straight from the modem to my comp, same thing happened

4. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

when you connected both of your computers to the router, you have must have either used DHCP or hard coded in IPs like 192.168.x.x.

if you used DHCP to connect to the router, and your ISP gives you a static IP, be sure that you changed to the static IP before connecting to the modem directly.

if you used a static 192.168.x.x to connect to the router, and you ISP uses dynamic IP, be sure to enable DHCP before connecting to the modem directy.

otherwise, dunno. call the ISP and see if they're blocking anything.

5. MZ2215

MZ2215 Yep

how would i go about enabling dhcp?

6. miek

miek Guest

It's probably enabled on the router by default. If you're running Windows XP you may have a software firewall enabled.

7. MZ2215

MZ2215 Yep

yeah don't worry about trying to fix the problem, went down and talked to provider today, they have damn near everything blocked:mad: