internet explorer problems, probably easy solution

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nicotino16, Mar 22, 2005.

1. nicotino16

nicotino16 New Member

my first problem is that on one site only, i have to hit the back button twice to go back, and on other peoples computers its only once. my other problem is for some reason, and only just recently, when i go to like the offtopic forum, all the shit is old, and i have to hit renew for the real shit to come up. anybody have an idea?

also, whats the best way to redo my comp? i have pretty new stuff, its a compaq with a 2ghz amd processor, and 120 gig hd, i want to wipe it clean because it keeps getting slower and slower, but i dont want to lose a bunch of programs and shit i have. any ideas?

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

Using Firefox is the easiest solution.

As for redoing your machine, backing up and doing a clean install is always the best way to go. You'll end up with a nice clean system that runs better.

3. Goonigoogoo

Goonigoogoo Active Member

Download ad-aware, Spybot and MS antispyware beta and run full scans, do NOT run any of these at the same time. These can be found at www.download.com

For a free AV head to www.grisoft.com if the problem persists let us know, i'm 99% sure its a virus/adware problem.

Make sure you have your windows updates on.

4. bottomline

bottomline Guest

That problem you get with OT happened to me too.. after we switched to 8.0. No idea why though

I'm on FF, BTW. I think it still works ok with IE, don't remember though. It sucks. :sad2:

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Simply switching to Firefox is useless since the problem that is already there wont go away by itself.... It really annoys me when the first thing anyone replies with to an IE problem post is to switch to Firefox.

Anyway, have you tried to clear your Internet temp files? Reset IE's web settings?

6. nicotino16

nicotino16 New Member

yeah, i just deleted all that crap, but it still takes to clicks to go back. windows updates are on, and ive done adaware. really, im more interested in wiping my computer clean without losing all my programs and media, and suggestions?

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

oxymoron.... viruses/spyware/problems are in all reality just like your documents, programs, and settings. You cannot "start fresh" without doing it all over again.

8. nicotino16

nicotino16 New Member

are you saying the best thing is to erase everything, and just reinstall my programs and stuff? what about my music, pictures, and videos? is there anything i could do to keep them

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

make a backup of your documents, but be very selective about what you backup. Music, pictures, videos, etc, should all pass a virus scan by something like AVG with the latest definitions and heuristics enabled.