SRS Internet Dating an A-OK?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TheMarchHare, Jan 18, 2008.

1. TheMarchHare

TheMarchHare OT Supporter

i'm kinda into this girl that i've met via the internet (never in person) this is unconventional, and her being up in nor-cal (i'm in so-cal) doesn't help. so do i stick to my stomping grounds or continue on with this girl? as a background, this girl is very attractive, and very compatible (or so it seems) to me, and also very into me. what is to be done?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2008
  2. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

How far does she live away from you? If it's too far to drive all the time then I'd stick to your stomping grounds.

3. TheMarchHare

pretty freaking far... but we both know that a relationship now is impossible (at the very least, very difficult) but we have a "who knows what happens in future" perspective as of now. thanks btw!

4. onedownfiveup

onedownfiveup Active Member

Just don't let yourself get too emotionally attached on a situation you know can't really happen right now.

5. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

honestly the best thing to do would be to forget her. Otherwise, she could become a crutch, and start taking away from your time out socializing with girls in your area. I know you think you won't let this happen, but it happens more easily than you think.

You'll start to get to know her, see what you want to see...it will just become easier to stay home and talk with her and all that.

There's no point in getting invested in her if you guys can't meet. Bes case, she'll take away from your free time to socialize with women near you, and at worst, you'll get way attached, but then start to resent her for not being able to meet.

If she is ever near you, have her give you a call...but until then, forget about her.

6. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

How old are you?
    How do you feel about relocating?

I met my wife through eHarmony. I couldn't be happier with how internet dating turned out for me.

Here is what I did a couple years before meeting my wife.

I live in Pennsylvania. I met this girl in Maine.
    We hit it off.
    Through emails, through phone calls. We really hit it off.
    We spent a couple of months like this. I didn't go a day without talking to her.

Finally one day I had a heart to heart with myself.
    I asked myself, 'What is really holding me hear to Pa?'.
    The cold hard truth was, not much.
    Being close to my parents really.

I didn't own land. I wasn't in school. I work a job where it should be fairly easy to find employment. I had a bunch of years at that job.

I went to my parents and I leveled with them.

My Father told me that life should be an adventure. He said that when he retired he intended to pick up and move.

So I put together a plan.

I would put together a vacation. I would take a week off of work and drive up and meet her. I would stay with her for a week and go home.
    No strings.
    This was a vacation and even if we didn't drive each other nuts when we where together I would make any final decisions later when it was over.

Long story short, we lasted 3 days.

The point is, life is an adventure. Go for it. Just be sure to have a plan that includes a safety net.

If you are really into this girl and there is nothing holding you to the area then plan a vacation and let what happens happen.

Even though things between us DIDN'T turn out well (I ended up leaving in the middle of the night) I regret NOTHING.
    If I wasn't married I would do it again.

7. TheMarchHare

that's some quality input there....

yea there is talk of meeting, (she coming down here) i am young, 20, and in college, i have no problem socializing, and have no problem meeting girls, meeting this girl was a random occurance a couple years back, and now i think that the plan is to feel it out until we meet, and meet for an extended period of time. i do see and understand that things sound kind of ridiculous, but that 's how life tends to be at times...

so to answer the quote, school is holding me down, (finishing my degree in '09) and after that, nothing really, i guess a perfect time to run off and be an adolescent? i don't know, but i think the definite for now is to hold it off until things become more concrete?

8. AlliMae13

AlliMae13 New Member

If you really think you can handle a LDR...go for it...but it seems like a pretty far distance. If it was only an hour or 2, it would be a different story. And being able to be physical in a relationship is part of what makes a relationship feel real. I personally would say to stick to your stomping grounds

9. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

I posted a guide to net dating today

HERE

10. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

i'd put the anchor in it

11. TheMarchHare

icic... i've seen her already on wc, so i'm not worried about that too much... and, thank you for your post, but that wasn't much of a guide to internet dating, more of a humorous advice snippet...

12. 2500

2500 Guest

I tried a LDR twice and both ended with problems, most likely driven by frustration. The next time one surfaced, I moved 600 miles away to get rid of that LDR feeling really quickly, lol.

13. TheMarchHare

lol icey icey... well i think the solution for me is, to do nothing. hahaha

"we'll cross that bridge whe we get there" is the quote that comes to mind. nothing can be done at this point but to carry on with life until something definitive comes up...

am i right in thinking this? =/

14. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

You are really young and she lives hundreds of miles away. Don't let yourself get attached to the idea of her, you've still never even met her in person, and trust me, people are always different in person than they are via online.

I'd say forget abiout her and focus on meeting women locally to you. You are young enough to try and hone your social skills. Start now.