Internet craps out a lot... is it my computer?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kiri, Sep 28, 2007.

1. kiri

kiri New Member

I have a macbook that has always worked flawlessly, but lately i've been having internet problems. it seems like it'll disconnect sort of, just enough so that i can't load any pages but not enough so that it immediately says "cannot connect to page." if i turn off airport and turn it back on again, it works right away :confused:

at first it was just my school network but now it's happening in other places :sad2:

i've always had PC's so i have no idea how to even tinker around with this. any ideas?

2. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

if you have a different router in your house try using that instead of your airport for a while. if it works fine [try it for like a week or two] then i would ocncider having your airport checked out. it not uncommon for routers to just shit the bed for no reason.

my linksys does that from time to time, it will just stop sending/recieving info, so i just go over to my modem and router [i have them both on the same power strip] and turn them off, then on, and once its done loading its good to go. happens like once a month or so..

3. kiri

kiri New Member

the router is fine, by airport i meant the wireless connection in my computer. if i just go up to that icon and turn it off/on again it works fine.

4. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

oh, lol that makes a big difference. um. lemme think and ill get back to you on that one. lol.

5. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

does it only drop when your on battery power?

6. kiri

kiri New Member

you know, that's a good question... i think the answer might be yes. it mostly happens in class (always on battery power) and i'm in a coffee shop right now, i plugged it in about 20 mins ago and it stopped crapping out :noes:

7. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

ok, here is your solution...which is not really a solution [sorry] its a powermanagement issue. there are 3 ways to fix it: plug it in, hack the kernel extentions to disable the powermanagement [poor battery life tho] or wait for apple to make this feature available to disable. read below. im still researching tho for better news.

Re: My MacBook drops connection regularly!
    Posted: May 29, 2006 10:51 AM in response to: Brian Lalor
    Reply Email

Yes, it is an OSX problem. I had a MBP here and the same experience. If you do a search for "permanent solution whine issue" you find a thread where some courageous people disabled the kernel extensions that deal with power-management. That gives you an absoultely stable airport connection. I tried it myself and it worked for me too. Even the annoying whine that a lot of MBP users suffer from, is cured with the kernel extensions disabled. The battery runs dry within 90 minutes, of course, but the thing worked at least. If you have the possibility to boot your MB into Windows XP you will experience the same thing: absolutely rock-solid stable airport connection! ...but still longer battery live than with OSX and kext. disabled.

So this issue has obviously to do with Mac OSX's power-management on the intel chipset; Apple apparently still has got some homework to do with the new hardware platform. I returned my MBP for refund, cause this is unacceptable and I cannot see any solution for this issue on the horizon.

Sorry for not being able to post good news, but there is still some hope I guess.

MacBook Pro 2GHz Mac OS X (10.4.6)

8. kiri

kiri New Member

oh man, i think i'd rather have good battery life than perfect internet... in class i shouldn't really be using the internet anyway :o

mine's just a macbook though, not a macbook pro... does that make a difference?

9. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

no, it seems the porblem lies in the software in OSX. and it seems to only affect on intel based macs. i also read that if you set a ping to automatically ping the router, or a website every <8 seconds it will keep the connection alive indefinately. though that will affect your battery life.

once thing you can try, when your on battery and you need a stable connection. try changing your power management option to best performance. see if that helps. after reading this im not so excited to be getting a black macbook on monday. lol. :run:

10. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

I have the same problem too, however mine also occurs when I am powered by the outlet.

11. Hypnos_VI

Hypnos_VI JENGA!

everything i researched today was pointed towards power saving options. if your still getting dropped while plugged in it most likely something else. like firmware, or your router.

12. CarRamRod

CarRamRod The schnozzberries taste like schnozzberries.

I used to have this issue at my old house, we had to wireless routers (one G, mine N). Now that I'm at my own house with only one router, it does not do this anymore.

13. Laserbeak

Laserbeak Remember kids! Be like Billy! BEHAVE YOURSELVES!

Check to see if IPv6 turned off in your Network control panel. I had a lot of desktops and laptops have their network connections go poof at random, and disabling that fixed it.

14. kanish

kanish schwigitty schwigitty schwagg

Have same exact problem with core duo imac. I noticed mine mostly when bringing display only back from sleep. Tried switching channels on router...etc to no avail.

Noticed IPv6 was enabled. Hopefully this will fix it.

15. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

same problem here

16. kiri

kiri New Member

just did this, and i have a long day of class today... i'll see if that helps, thanks!

17. kanish

kanish schwigitty schwigitty schwagg

IPv6 didn't work for me.

Since switching the encryption from WPA Personal to WEP, I have not had the problem. Not sure if this is a router (belkin pre-n) issue or airport card.

Isn't that vierd?

18. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

I found out for me it is Safari. I switched browsers and have not had any problems yet. I will update next week or so to see if it will come up again.

19. kiri

kiri New Member

what did you switch to? firefox?

20. Naturally Baked

Naturally Baked Active Member

interesting

21. Fidel Castro

Fidel Castro OT Supporter

hmm. I have the same problem, ill try firefox.

22. Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil OT Supporter

I get that a lot too with my MBP, never had that issue with my 12" AL PB

23. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

Im trying both firefox and Opera to see which I like more. So far it seems like Firefox loads faster. Still no problems with either browser.

24. kiri

kiri New Member

just installed firefox.... working much faster so far :bigthumb:

25. KuntryFresh

KuntryFresh Midwest

firefox is better?