Internet Connectivity

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2xPutt, Sep 17, 2009.

1. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

I have roadrunner cable internet and the damn thing is ALWAYS dropping me. it seems like it happens in spurts around the same times (i.e. somewhere between 10am-10:30am; 12pm-2pm, etc.). I will be surfing the net just fine and then boom, it slows to a snail's pace and then i look over and i am disconnected. The Power light is on, but every other light is off (these include receive, which is blinking, and send and online). I disconnect the power to it and then wait about a minute and hook it back up, 25% of the time, it connects back up no problem, but the other 75%, it stays blinking like it's looking for a connection and then it will finally connect again when I am out of the room. I have a router hooked up to the computer and I thought maybe it was that that was dropping my internet, but even with the ethernet cord plugged directly into the computer, it still will do the same thing.

Does anyone else have Roadrunner Cable and have you experienced this same problem? I did a search on google and it looks like a lot of people have this problem as well. I'm in the city, so I didn't think it was a problem with location. I've only been experiencing this shitty of a service for about a month and a half now. :mad: Any fixes? I don't want anyone to come out to my house, frankly, I just don't like or trust people :o and I'd rather it be a quick fix.

any help? please? thanks for listening to me whine :o

2. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Call your ISP first, and ask them if they are having an blanket outages in your area: If yes, threaten to switch providers to DSL unless they "fix" the issue and/or upgrade your modem.

3. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

if you have a moto surfboard modem and the rec light is blinking, you have a shitty connection to the modem

likely that your signal levels are right on the edge, things like temp and wind can affect the outside wiring, pushing it over that edge

call up tech support and ask for your modem's levels
    tx should be between -10 and + 10
    rx should be around 40, but never higher than 58
    s/n should be around 35, if it drops to around a 20, your in trouble

commonly people have their modem going through too many splitters. the goal is always to get the modem off of the first split
    every time you go through a splitter, the tx gets lower and the rx gets higher. tx = signal cable company sends to you, rx= return signal you send back to the cable company. a 2 way splitter will subtract 3.5 dBi from the tx and add about the same to the rx.

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I was going to say the same thing...

5. 2xPutt

2xPutt New Member

thanks guys, I'll try that. I have one connection coming out of my living room that goes into a 4-way splitter. one goes to my room (it's on a 25 ft. coax cable, but the comp and hookup is only like 5 feet away), one to my living room TV and then one to the TV IN my bedroom which is maybe 5-10 feet away from the computer. the 4th split isn't in use.

you said this could be the problem, but it just started occuring in the past like 2 months. can it really mess up like that?

6. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

That's what happened to me... When I first got cable Internet, I got the self-install kit. Instead of using the supplied 2-way splitter, I used my existing 4-way to go out to the other tv's. It worked for a while, but then I started having the problem as you.

Go to where the line first comes in the house. Use a 2-way splitter. One goes to the modem and the other can go wherever you want to other splitters.

If you still have problems, see if you can get a tech out to check the connections on the outside of the house. I've had mine replaced a few years back.

7. dorkultra

lol, i think i mixed the up the tx and rx

8. dorkultra

do you have digital cable on the other connections? does it hook up to a box? if so, the same rules apply with the splits. you might be able to get away with a little more leadway, but may need an amp
    if its analog cable, cable directly to the tv, you'll be fine. it can handle a lot more leadway