Internet Connection Sharing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Jun 21, 2006.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I have wired and wireless connections on my PC, and I want to allow traffic to pass through from one connection to the other so I can connect a NAS box that I recently bought to the Wireless LAN through my computer's ethernet jack. (connecting the NAS box to the router is not an option at this time.)

I have already confirmed that the NAS box is capable of handling a direct connection with my PC (without even needing a crossover, fancy that) but the problem I'm having is that my PC forgets that the Internet is accessed via the Wireless connection; that is, as soon as the Ethernet connection is enabled, all of the network traffic from my computer tries to get to the Internet through it, which of course is impossible because...well...that's not the connection that goes out to the Internet.

So how do I tell my PC 1) to allow traffic to pass from one connection to the other, and 2) to direct all of its own outbound traffic through the Wireless connection?

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

How is TCP/IP configured on each interface?

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

okay, you want to assign a STATIC IP to the 802.3 interface. Configure the NAS box to use a STATIC IP on the same subnet. This subnet must be DIFFERENT from your main (802.11) network.

For example:
    802.11: 192.168.0.0/24
    802.3: 192.168.5.0/24

Leave the GATEWAY setting on the 802.3 interface BLANK. Same with NAMESERVERS entries.

This will keep net access on your PC while allowing 100Mbps access to the NAS unit.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Ah, okay. What I'd been doing wrong then, was pointing the Ethernet connection to the same gateway as the Wireless connection, having assumed that the Ethernet connection would notice that the Wireless connection was on the same subnet as its default gateway and would pass its data through. I can't test this right now, becuse I have to hit the road. Do I want to enable ICS on either of the two connections? I would like for anybody on the Wireless network to be able to connect to the NAS box through the tunnel I've built.

Actually, this little NAS box is pretty smart about its IP address. I can set it to DHCP and it will default to a static IP if no DHCP server can be found. It's a handy feature.

5. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

to allow people on the 802.11 interface to see a device on the 802.3 interface you do need to enable ICS with the 802.11 being the "public/internet" interface, and the 802.3 interface being "private". Then you would need to port-forward any ports you want access too. For example 80/8080 for web access, or 21 for ftp.

6. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Ya, you may be a dickhead sometimes but you'd be the first
    person I would ask about networking.
    Of course, I'm assuming that you were actually right about this.
    Is that dangerous?:mamoru:

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Cisco CCNA/CCNP Certified :wiggle:

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Ya, ya, that's probably what all you young geeks say!

[​IMG]