Internet connection lost, but not really???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by n2_space, Jun 12, 2006.

1. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

I'm having a weird connection issue on one of my boxes (XP Pro SP2). It's wired to the router (router is wireless, but I have it hooked up via ethernet cable), and last week all of a sudden, it starts loosing it's internet connection. No webpage will work, email, nada. Reboot and it works fine. I've made no changes. Weird part is, I can see it from work saying it has no connections, etc, but obviously I am using VNC over the net to get in, so it does have a connection, but thinks it lost it. Every other program will not work accessing the net though, can't open a webpage, email, anything. Reboot, and everything is fine again. :wtf: Any ideas? :hs:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

could be one of two issues. Router or Modem. It's keeping existing connections going, but it's not allowing new connections. I've had to replace both routers and modems for issues like this, before.

3. keleko

keleko yes, he is

i had the same problem with a win2k3 install

couldn't be bothered to figure it out since i didn't have a valid cdkey anyway, wiped and reloaded with 2k, no problem

4. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

I wonder if using a different port on the back would help? :dunno:

5. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Yeah, I'm about ready to blow it away and reformat... it needs it anyway but I want to figure it out because it's annoying me :o

6. Soren

Soren OT Supporter

I get a similar problem if I'm downloading torrents in Bit Comet. My internet connecton drops but the torretns remain downloading. I can fix this in one of two ways: 1) restart computer or 2) restart the router.

The connection restarts but if I continue downloading torrents, it will eventually sever once more.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no

8. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Reset the router, didn't help.

9. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

Figured not:hs:

10. modspace

modspace New Member

I think some ISP's may limit the max number of connections you may have. At my college, It seems when I have about 40 connections(using bittorrent) it won't accept any more.

It also happens when I try to play games online. If I get the list of servers(counter-strike), only about 30 or so will come up and I have to wait about 5 minutes before it will let me connect to it. Otherwise it'll time out while trying to connect.