Internet connection issue?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by tenplanescrashing, Jul 12, 2009.

1. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

i've been holding off on posting this because i couldn't quite explain it, but this has been happening for quite some time...

Dual 2.7ghz G5 PowerMac
    Connected via ethernet to router (WRT160n v2)
    DNS servers set to Earthlink's specific DNS servers
    Search domain set to google.com (and san.rr.com)

Internet works, but sporadically. It will work, then it will hang. I can visit a site, browse around, then it'll just sit and say "Loading". It will give me an error that the page can't be found. I refresh and it immediately comes up fast as ever. This happens with any browser and has happened with two different routers. I constantly watch iStat Pro and it shows no information going out or coming in until it errors out and I hit refresh.

The other laptops on our network don't have this problem wirelessly or via ethernet. I've done enough testing to know that it has to be my G5.

As I type this, my Gmail notifier has shown that I have 2 messages, then go to the error indicator, back to that I have 2 messages. Something isn't staying connected here and I don't know where else to look. I've made network changes, connected manually, connected directly to the modem, etc. Nothing seems to fix the problem. I even tried OpenDNS and that hasn't fixed it either.

Anyone?

2. tenplanescrashing

Since using OpenDNS, this is what I get if it doesn't load:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2009
  3. tenplanescrashing

This is the earthlink page I get too. This one is a bitch since I can't reload and it works. I actually can't attempt to reload any page from that site for at least 5 minutes or i'll get the same error:
    [​IMG]

4. tenplanescrashing

no help? The Weasel?

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

really not sure, check you dont have any specific tcp setting set etc, go to the little gear wheel at the bottom of the network interface list (in System Prefs > network), drag the network card you use to the top of the list. check internet sharing is turned off in sharing... :dunno:

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

is it purely dns? use safari's web inspector's network timeline. that might show you what it is doing when it is stalled.

7. tenplanescrashing

Ethernet was set to top. No other weird settings.

I was told to try WireShark to find out what is happening but after installing and not understanding some of the *simple* tasks, I uninstalled and moved on.

What I did try, though, is creating a new type of network connection, inactivating the old one, and it seems to be fine for now. I was also told to try to change IPv4/IPv6 from automatic to off but that didn't work.

I'm still testing things though...

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

out of curiosity is it running tiger or leopard?

9. tenplanescrashing

i'm on leopard. so far, no problems. will report back later

10. tenplanescrashing

it has happened yet again.. changed the Configure IPv6? to Off, nothing. Edited the NetBIOS as it said it was already in use, nothing.

I'm at a loss here. I even created a new user and tried that...nothing. :(

11. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

do you have little snitch or any other firewall installed?

12. tenplanescrashing

nope, nothing. This has to be an issue with the G5 because my MBP and my roommates Toshiba laptop don't have any issues (related to this).

13. tenplanescrashing

fixed the problem. Not sure where the issue is, but after a reset and firmware reinstall on the router, it's working fine. Must have been some rogue setting that the G5 didn't like.

14. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

i just bought a brand new macbook pro 13 inch. i've only had it for about 6 days, and just suddenly today i am having so much trouble connecting to my wireless network. My Windows machine has (almost) no trouble connecting to it. ive been reading here and there and i read that the macbook has had a lot of trouble with WPA / WPA2 encryption, but the troubleshooting methods are outdated, some from 2007 or even 2006. my questions are:

1. this just suddenly started happening, no problem the first 6 days.
    2. how do i fix this isse with wpa/wpa2 on Leopard?

Thanks

15. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

the only times I have seen trouble with wifi and a mac were due to:

Weird router firmware (surprisingly common) - either upgrading or downgrading fixed the problem.

Weak signal

16. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

hmmm interesting. i did upgrade the firmware of my router to the latest version, maybe that's why. i will try to downgrade. this shitty Airlink I have is just shitty in general though. be it windows or mac machine, it drops connections once a day. what router would you recommend thats friendly with both mac and windows?

17. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

goddamnit i am unable to downgrade the firmware for this shitty Airlink MIMO XR. i upload the old firware and nothing happens.

18. tenplanescrashing

I'm running WPAPersonal on mine...no problems with my MBP. Get a better brand router with better support for B/G/N networks?

19. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

yeah that's step one. but the fact that my Windows machine has a much easier time connecting to the network proves that there is something wrong between the mac and the router...

20. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

unfortunately it sometimes happens - I assume macs are never tested by the people who write the firmware of cheap routers.

I have only had experience with airports, cisco (not linksys) and older routers that can run tomato / openWRT firmware, all fine.