Internet Connection HELP!!!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cosmocrat, Dec 30, 2004.

1. cosmocrat

cosmocrat New Member

Okay I hope someone will be able to help me out...

My mother slaughtered out internet connection, because when I had set up the wireless connection, neither of us could send or recieve e-mails, so she thought she'd take a crack at it...

well NOW I can't connect to the internet at all using my laptop (even when I steal the connection from the home PC) - If I unplug the connection the home PC, even for a second, I need to reinstall the VerizonDSL CD.

what the heck is going on here?

if this seems to vague, i'll try and provide anymore information you might need to help.

thanks in advance!:bowdown:

2. Mi[G]hTy

Mi[G]hTy New Member

Are you saying that all internet conneciton is down, even when you computer is connected directly to the modem?

3. cosmocrat

cosmocrat New Member

yes, the computer modem is hooked up like it always was before -
    the lights are on the modem, as if it is working properly
    and it even says that I Have a connection, but when I go to get onto the internet -
    it won't work unless I install it all over again

what the heck is goin on???

4. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Do you normally use a router or you using ICS?

5. cosmocrat

cosmocrat New Member

an ICS?..

we just have the DSL modem

6. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

How are the laptops getting their wireless signal? Do you have a wired NIC and wireless NIC in the same computer? What operating system is on the ICS machine? What IP scheme are you using?

Either way the best way to answer your problems is go out and buy a wireless router, plug the modem into it and feed the rest of the machines....

7. cosmocrat

cosmocrat New Member

i do have a wireless router - i'm sorry I'm just not savvy with computer talk.:ugh:

ot worked for awhile, until my mom screwed with it -
    now in order to get online, i have to reinstall the DSL software on the home PC each time I put the ethernet cord into the computer (from taking it out to use the internet on my laptop)

the weirdest thing is - both PC and laptop say they are having great internet connections before I reinsatll, however you can't get to the internet until you reinsatll the software:o

8. Madness

Madness Do not let Dr. Mario touch your genitals. He is no

Is your DSL modem connected to the router or the computer? It should be connected to the router keeping the connection alive at all times even when the PC or the laptop is disconnected or turned off. You may need to check your router configuration to make sure it's coordinated properly with the settings for your modem. I wish I could help more but I've never had this problem with my connection (also on VerizonDSL).

Also you should list your OS and the name of yoru routers manufacturer, it may make it easier for someone-else to help.

9. cosmocrat

cosmocrat New Member

I have a Westell Modell 2200 DSL Modem, and a Netgear model MR814v2 Wireless Router.

I don't know if that helps.