Internet Connection Help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TexasStateGuy, Jul 5, 2004.

1. TexasStateGuy

TexasStateGuy New Member

A week or so ago I built a computer for my best friend in Arizona, using an Asus P4P800_Deluxe motherboard, which I found to be a pretty sweet motherboard. I hooked it up in my apartment to test it and tweak it, and get the Windows XP updates. My apartment comes with an ethernet connection in each room. When he recieved it in Arizona, an issue came up, but he asked me about it last night at 3AM and my troubleshooting skills aren't that great at that hour. When he plugs in his ethernet connection from a DSL modem, he gets link lights and the activity light blinks as it should, and his network connection is showing the LAN connection under network connections. However, when he starts Internet Explorer it can't find any website. The LAN connection shows packets sent but none are ever recieved. When I talk to him later today I am going to tell him to to get in the command prompt and do an ipconfig /release and /renew. If that doesn't solve the problem, what else can I check for or steps can I take?

2. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Aside from the release and renew you could have him unplug the modem for 5-10 seconds and plug it back in. I would actually unplug the modem and restart it before releasing with ipconfig.

Have him wait 20-30 seconds after plugging the modem back in before renewing.

3. pthug

pthug Guest

Perhaps the modem hasn't registered the the MAC address of the NIC.

4. TexasStateGuy

TexasStateGuy New Member

If the modem hasn't registered the MAC address of the NIC, then how would I get it to register it? I haven't tried to renew the IP address yet, but I'm doing that later tonight.

5. TexasStateGuy

TexasStateGuy New Member

Ok, I tried a release and renew. When trying to renew I get the error "An error occured while renewing interface local area connection unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out." What does that mean and what is the next step?

6. TexasStateGuy

TexasStateGuy New Member

OK OK nevermind, it didn't work the first time because he didn't wait the 20-30 seconds, but I had him doing it again waiting 30 seconds that I timed(he's impatient as shit) and it renewed and now works like a charm. I appreciate yall's help!

Tyler