MIL Internet Access

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Sexual Vanilla, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this or not, but whatever.

I keep in contact with my cousin who is serving his 2nd tour in Iraq alot through email and instant messaging. Not sure exactly where he is in Iraq, but I was curious as to what kind of internet connection the soldiers have access to over there. Does anyone have any idea?

2. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

It depends on where he is stationed. The area I'm at on Camp Liberty has wireless access for $65/month. Or if you don't have a computer you can go to MWR for free access. Lines are short and network speed is mediocre but usable.

While I was at Camp Anaconda (aka: Balad Airbase), the internet access at the MWR was absolute shit. The lines are long and the speed of the connection is somewhere between "zero" and "slow as dogshit."

Some guys will get together and buy satellite equipment and pay for internet service that way. It costs a lot up-front, is iffy to set up and maintain, but you can end up with a better connection. That's what I'm using now. My satellite internet provider is based in Greece, so whenever I clear out my cookies and shit I end up with google giving me pages full of greek letters. :mamoru:

3. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Slow as hell

4. dura

dura Guest

Sat internet is the only real way to go. Bandwidth for each day might have to be moderated with your users (we can pull 250mb a day for each of our 10 users). The latency is horrible (500-800ms) because you are bouncing off space birds for net access. That was an issue for me because I did a lot of shit with remote shells. The only way you'll get around that is by being at a FOB with an actual land-based backbone (which probably doesn't happen anywhere in Iraq). That's the only real drawback, though.

5. pakman

pakman New Member

Me and my guys pitched in and bought a satelite system from the locals. It cost a lot up front like Ranger said, and then we paid around $800 a month for the service. Outrageous price for an incredibly slow connection, but was the only option at our FOB.